planet earth on discovery / bbc
Apr 3, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily the original running order (as shown on BBC) and original narration by David Attenborough will be intact on the dvd/hd-dvd/blu-ray release of the series.

Being a Brit here in the USA I was most disappointed to hear Sigourney Weaver doint the Narration and not Sir David. I'll be getting this on DVD for sure if he's on the DVD's and she isn't.

He is THE voice of nature programs to me.

Oh, and yeah, it looks AMAZING in HD. Dis you see what that Octopus did to disguise itself the other night! Wow. I had to rewind that one to make sure i wasn't imagining things!

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 44
Hey folks, in case you aren't already aware, the series is available for pre-order on DVD, HDDVD and Blu-Ray through Amazon. I've put my order in. The price looks decent.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 44
Sir David gives the impression he knows what he's talking about, Sigourney Weaver gives the impression she's reading a script (and only got one take at it)

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed.

I have caught all of the episodes so far. The video and overall scenery is unreal. I really like the time-elapsed photography showing changes over time. Thos photographers must have really been dedicated to get such footage, as a lot of it is unprecedented.

There is also an hour sister show with each episode showing the length they go through. For the Penguins, they lived on the pole for an entire year through the storms to get the shots they needed.

p.s. Why replace Sir David, that is literally an insult !

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's a really good series though Sigourney sounds a tad robotic in her narration. Beautiful imagery though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily the original running order (as shown on BBC) and original narration by David Attenborough will be intact on the dvd/hd-dvd/blu-ray release of the series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binaural Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I caught it on CBC. I can't even imagine it with Sigourney Weaver narrating. David Attenburough's old raspy British accent adds so much to the show.
I got really irritated with the second instalment rehashing footage from the first instalment.
I really love the Jungle one, it has spectacular time lapses. The death of a forest giant sequence is spectacular and the funghi footage, phenominal. The coolest thing I've ever seen has to be the Cordyceps funghi consuming those insects.

lmao! How come you guys get Sigourney Weaver (theres only one right?) narrating and not the mighty Sir David Attenborough? And how come it got aired so late? I've had the DVD for months already
biggrin.gif
. Highly recommend getting the DVD (HD/Blu-Ray?).

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 44
everyone i know that gets an HDTV finds themselves glued to the HD discovery channel

its not just planet discovery, just about anything they show on there has amazing image quality, and really shows off the capabilities of HD programing, its a wonder they don't just show the channel in bestbuy on all their sets, i think anyone who hadn't seen HD programing much before would be amazed, and they'd probably sell more TV's

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectorcito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already own Blue Planet, The Life of Birds, The Life of Mammals, Life in the Undergrowth, and Life in the Freezer (yeah, I guess I am a David Attenborough fan
tongue.gif
). How does the new series compare to those?

By the way, if you haven't seen The Life of Birds, check this out: it's the most amazing bird singing, http://youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

I've seen Blue Planet and Life in the Undergrowth and I would recommend Planet Earth on that basis, but seeing as though you have most (all?) of the 'Life in the...' series, it could be a superfluous purchase. But some of the footage in Planet Earth is completely unique and unprecedented. I say get it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Its an overall view of different habitats without getting too deep into each one-thats 11 episodes each an hour long+a documentary on the views of eminent conservationists and other figures.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #30 of 44
for the fans of the bbc version, you can torrent it, if you feel ethical about that. personally, i pay for discovery, but i miss episodes sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back