Planar Magnetic upgrade from ATH-m50x
Oct 25, 2019 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zoenphlux

New Head-Fier
I have a set of m50x's that I am wanting to upgrade from for Christmas to myself (early). I am really wanting to try out Planar Magnetics. I am not a big fan of open back based on my experience from the Audio Technica 900x I tried a few years ago, but I also used to have a pair of semi-open Steel Series I really liked. So, I am willing to try again if needed, but I would prefer closed back. I have two dogs and four kids (13yr down to 2yr), so I like being able to close off the world a bit to listen. I have a Soundblaster Omni pro with a 600ohm headphone jack on my PC, and I have a Fiio Mont Blonk to use for power if needed. I do plan to try better Dacs/amps later. I use a Yamaha lower end 5.1 channel receiver for my PC, so I also have the headphone jack on it to use if I want. I use Def Techs on my PC, and Bic Acoustech/Klipsch/Polk sub for my theater room. I do appreciate better quality audio. I have several budget earbuds and headphones as well, but I would like a proper Audiophile-ish set now.

My budget is around $100-$250, and I'm not afraid of used - as you can see below. I have been considering many options, but I need help. I prefer a little brighter over warmer. To me, warmer often feels muffled. At least that's what I associate with it. I really want some sub-bass feel as well.

Here is a list of what I have coming:

Monolith M565C - bought open box on eBay for $128
Phillips Fidelio X2HR - New on Amazon for $130 (I know they are open back, but I wanted to try them based on previous reviews and reading on these.)

Here is a list of what I am still wanting to try/considering:
Argon MK3 (with a wait apparently) - Stock form is my only option in my budget for $245 it seems.
Monolith M1060c - open box for $269 or used on eBay for ~$200.
Dekoni Fostex MK3 - new on eBay for $199 obo, so maybe $175ish.
HifiMan HE4XX - Drop has them for a few more days at $140 shipped.

I am looking for a fairly fun headphone. I don't want the bass so loud it overpowers everything all the time, but I do want to feel it when it's there. I mainly listen to instrumentals, electronic, and also sometimes contemporary. The m50x's are pretty clear and detailed to me, but lack low end. I replaced the original pads with some deeper ones because they were falling apart. The bass took a hit, however, the pads are much nicer to me so I just keep them. I also never felt they were as bass-heavy as people claimed, even amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back