planar magnetic headphones with great high-end extension
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
I own an Audeze LCD2 from 10 years ago, a very early revision. I love the bass, but the can is a bit rolled off on the high end. I'm attracted to planar magnetic open-back headphones in general, and now I'm in the market for something with better high-end extension. A little brighter, yes, but beyond the idea of bright, extended on top (conveying a lot of information well above the sibalance region, like 10K to 12K). So for example, brass instruments would really sizzle.

My budget is about $400. I'm not a fan of recent Audeze headphones. I haven't heard any other recent manufacturer's headphones.

For some more reference points to my taste, I recently heard the K702 and the K712. The K702 has a beautiful and exciting high-end but that's all it has. Middle and bass instruments were very faint underneath this loud top-end. The K712 is more balanced and I like it a lot. It's just not as high-resolution as a planar magnetic.

So again, open-back planar magnetic is what I'm looking for, $400 budget.

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 4
HFM XS sounds up your alley

Most of the DCA stuff within that range is pretty bass light

I know there are some one offs here and there (monoprice, verum) but can't speak to those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back