Planar magnetic dilemma
Mar 19, 2018 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ngrumps

New Head-Fier
Hey, hoping for some opinions on a possible purchase.
I have recently bought and enjoyed the HE-400i, but they developed a bass rattle and as such are being returned. So now I'm looking to replace them with something with a bit better build quality. Whilst I did enjoy the 400s I found them a bit too bright at the top end.
Unfortunately there are no places to audition headphones within touching distance of me, so am buying on faith. Current kit: Chord Mojo --> Schiit Vali 2 --> Headphones (Senn 6XX on order).
The phones will be used primarily to listening to music ranging from rap-rock-pop-classic

Options being considered:
Monolith M1060 - apparently needs mods to get the best sound, and I have reservations about the wood cracking in the cup. They are the cheapest though at £334
Advanced sound alpha - not much by way of information about these yet, the reviews I have read range from excellent to mediocre. More expensive at £425
Audeze LCD-2C - best build quality at a commensurate price of £599

And then I am looking at various second hand options, but the UK has many fewer sellers than the US it seems.

So the question is, where is the best/performance ratio? Are the Audezes worth the price premium?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 17
The Audeze LCD-2C is built like a tank.
I believe that they are worth the price.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Hi Ngrumps,

Have you tried the Oppo PM 3 with Balanced Cable (offers wider rear facing sound over stock which is narrow & front facing)

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 17
Out of the three options that the OP listed, I can only comment on the LCD2C.

I am using the Meridian Prime dac/amp (with Prime power supply). Running it on its own and also as a pre-amp into a Schitt Valli 2 with an EH6922 tube.

I’ve only had the Audeze for a few days, but am enjoying the sound I’m hearing through both rigs (prime alone and prime->Valli 2). Agree with others here that build quality is very good, and price/value is great.

I listen mostly to jazz (instrumental + vocals) and classical. As with my other headphones (Grados 325, RS1i, GS2000e), I find that the Audeze’s response depends on the quality of the recording. But when it’s good (In my opinion), the LCD2C sounds very good. Not as forward as the Grados, but not dark to me.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 17
LCD2C is great, but does not pair well with all genres. (I say this as a LCD2c owner that's happy as a pig in mud to own them)

Have you also considered the Hifiman Sundara?

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the extra suggestions folks, I will take a look at the sundara and oppo pm-3. Do the sundara's suffer from the same QC issues as the rest of the hifiman range? Particularly worried about bass rattle as this is what had me returning my HE400i

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the extra suggestions folks, I will take a look at the sundara and oppo pm-3. Do the sundara's suffer from the same QC issues as the rest of the hifiman range? Particularly worried about bass rattle as this is what had me returning my HE400i
I'm not 100% certain, but I think they started using mostly metal for the materials with the Sundara.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Hi there, just want to chime in. Go to amazon.com (US page) and check out the newer negative reviews for the PM-3*. Seems like there is a trend with the headband and earpads disintegrating within a year and people are saying it costs between $50USD and $150 (not sure which is true; can't imagine they'd charge different prices) to have them replaced out of warranty. Personally, I've not had this problem (but I probably have an older batch). It's also not to say that the issue hasn't been fixed or that it affects all headphones.

Otherwise, they're a good headphone that I think will suit your needs. I've not tried any of the other headphones on your list, but with some judicious EQ I'd say the PM-3 are very nearly on par with the HD650 (same as the HD6XX you have on order).

*You might also see that I left a negative review there also. I've since given my PM-3 a second chance and would change my review to be a little higher.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 17
Hi Ngrumps,

Though not a fan of Hifiman soundwise, I do find the build quality on the Sundara quite decent during a demo so it should last but given I am not a fan, it is likeable enough for Hifiman.
Bass rattle is tricky as sometimes headphone drivers can be a bit tempermental but if you have a quality source & don't have anything rated higher than basshead leading to potentially bad distortion then you should be ok but I will state as I never owned a Hifiman for reasons stated, I can't say for sure in the long run.

Hi Megabigeye,

I agree in so far as to say I have had my PM 3 for almost 3 years in daily use though I don't bring it out, have had no issues whatsoever.
Amazon reviews tend to be a load of crap & often fake, both good & bad reviews & its an analytics marketing ploy.
In terms of sound, I suggest trying the balanced cable which is available as an option as that gives it wider rear facing sound compared to the stock cable which is narrow & front facing.

To echo & perhaps extend what ProtegeManiac stated, Planar Magnetic Drivers require less physical movement over dynamic drivers to produce sound so with good tuning & sensitivity, it isn't hard to achieve consistent sound & performance over a dynamic though that being said, sometimes not always the case.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 17
For what it's worth, I'm happy with my lightly modded M1060s (Vegan pads + paper towel mod). I'm running version 2 with the improved wood cups, and haven't had any cracking yet after almost a year of usage in Denver (dry climate). Driving them with a Chord Mojo, which I think is a great pairing. I don't own any Audeze's, but I've auditioned most of the LCD models (not the 2C though) at RMAF multiple times. I certainly would understand paying a premium for the Audeze build quality and sound, but if you are asking about price/performance ratio, the M1060s are tough to beat in my opinion for what I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back