Planar iem's?
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Are there any planar iem's around? (or normal two small earbuds like apple buds)

Or any ideas of small planar drivers that could be used DIY for such a thing?

The only thing that comes to mind is the Stax sr-001, which are planar earbuds.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 12
The 7hz Timeless are fun and have good slam, as long as comfort is good. It depends on ear shape, I've had them and had to cover an edge with a little tape. Similar to a closed back Hifiman he4xx if comparing them to headphones, maybe close to the Sundara for detail, but soundstage not as wide and treble peak wasn't as sharp. I'd take them over any closed back planar if noise isolation is important. They need some current to shine though, not a ton of power, just more than a phone though. Even an Apple $9 adapter and USB player pro will work great on Android to bypass the stack and use it's full power. Neutron player will do it too.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 12
Oriolus Szalayi was a tribrid with one large 14mm Planar for the mids section and theres also Fibae 5's which utilizes two small planars for the high region.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks @sbong and IIIEvo, from what I'm reading online for the Supermoon the reviews are mostly from audiophiles, but I'm specifically looking for something with as transparent and flat of a response as possible - as close to the ATC monitor profile as can be. I've also never heard of Campfire audio and have been using 64Audio CIEMs for the last 10 years, so I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to more unknown brands, especially for critical listening in a professional audio environment. Any thoughts?

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Campfire is a well respected US IEM brand. I'm not sure of the response curve of the Supermoon, but reference flat is rarely their cup of tea, so you're probably going to want to look elsewhere. You probably don't want planars, for that matter - certainly not if you're opposed to EQ, as most need it to get flat.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 12
Campfire is a well respected US IEM brand. I'm not sure of the response curve of the Supermoon, but reference flat is rarely their cup of tea, so you're probably going to want to look elsewhere. You probably don't want planars, for that matter - certainly not if you're opposed to EQ, as most need it to get flat.

Would you say that that's due to the small form factor of IEM planars vs. the planars of larger headphones such as Audeze LCD-X?

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Would you say that that's due to the small form factor of IEM planars vs. the planars of larger headphones such as Audeze LCD-X?
I don't pretend to understand the complexities of driver tuning, I'm just speaking from personal experience and idle reading.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks @sbong and IIIEvo, from what I'm reading online for the Supermoon the reviews are mostly from audiophiles, but I'm specifically looking for something with as transparent and flat of a response as possible - as close to the ATC monitor profile as can be. I've also never heard of Campfire audio and have been using 64Audio CIEMs for the last 10 years, so I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to more unknown brands, especially for critical listening in a professional audio environment. Any thoughts?

My suggestions is as far off to your preferences as it could be and I wouldn't want to count Stax though. So theres Campfire's and Unique Melody's ME-1. Not sure if the latter is still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back