Planar headphones with 'v shaped' sound signature?
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
From my reading around the topic, most Audeze's have a warm sound signature (lows and mids are prominent), most Mr. Speakers have an even warmer sound signature still, and most Hifiman's have a bright sound signature (mids and highs are prominent). Some Hifiman's may have a slight mid recession, but overall they seem bright rather than V shaped.

Is there any notable planar that has a V shaped sound signature where the bass and mids are significantly pushed in front of the midrange?

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 6
From my reading around the topic, most Audeze's have a warm sound signature (lows and mids are prominent), most Mr. Speakers have an even warmer sound signature still, and most Hifiman's have a bright sound signature (mids and highs are prominent). Some Hifiman's may have a slight mid recession, but overall they seem bright rather than V shaped.

Is there any notable planar that has a V shaped sound signature where the bass and mids are significantly pushed in front of the midrange?
Aeon closed. It dips at the presence region and peaks at the treble, which is what I consider V-shaped. Aeon closed is not warm. Hifiman headphones usually do not have the meaty warmth, or meaty in general. They are usually have tuning for vividness or clarity. Any Hifimans I'd consider the warmest you can get are the HEX series or HE500, but that's only relative to how not really warm Hifimans are.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Well the 600's really like the BH Crack, more than my Ragnarok, or the Bryston. Sundara is a good headphone, better for rock than the 600. But the 600 is cleaner in the mids for classical and audiophile type jazz. I think they compliment each other actually.

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes, the HD600 are a little more punchy, in somewhat of an overstated audiophile way. Sundara have a more natural presentation; less technicolor, more reality.
Actually Sundar isn't 'natural' presentation. I don't like the usage of the term 'natural' since it's arbitrary. The timbre isn't natural. Both Sundara and HE560 have dipped mids, or male vocal area comparatively to other Hifimans I've tried.

If anybody wants to hear real warm sounding planars, try out the MrSpeakers 'open' like Aeon open or Ether opens. I really have no idea why they are called 'open' in the first place as they are really closed, and they don't sound open. A real open headphone should increase clarity and airyness to the sound. What is puzzling is that their closed version has that effect, and their opens have that haze like warmth to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back