Plan to visit New York City, any good idea?
Jun 5, 2003 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I plan to visit New York City for 6 days, however, it is my first time go to New York, so I don't know where I should go?!?!? Would you guys tell me where I MUST visit in New York? Since I will drive my car from Toronto to New York, would you tell me the name of the place and address if possible, thanks
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 75
let's see - the hotel room will cost your $200 a day. i hope they have parking. if not, expect to pay $25 a day for parking.

where to go?

Rockerfeller Centre (48th St & 5th Avenue), Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Gimbels, Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim, Musem of Art, Lincoln Centre, The Enterprise Warship, Statue of Liberty, Greenwhich Village, Wall Street, Wall St. Camera, Sony Wonder, IMax theatre, Sony Store, NY Public Library (42nd St), Tavern on the Green, Central Park, Strawberry Fields, Empire State Building, a nice deli (Carnegie Deli) on 53rd Street & Bway (I believe), Chinatown, Little Italy, Orchard Street, Houston Street, FAO Schwartz, Times Square, a nice little Spanish restuarant on 38th between 7th & 8th Aves, Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, Germantown on 86th Street & 3rd Ave, Brazilian, Greek, Indian, Italian, restuaurants (and any other nationality),...

Jun 5, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 75
Wallijohn just about nailed it...make sure to use the trains to get around as that's the quickest way besides walking, don't waste your time and money on taxi's. I definitely recommend Wall Street, JandR (electronics store) on Park Row (right across the street from City Hall in lower Manhattan). I also recommend a Deli called Stage Door on Vesey Street between Broadway and Church street (only half a block away from JandR). Definitely check out Chinatown to see how filthy New York can be so you'll never want to come back. I also recommend the East Village as there are many cool shops around, also check out Union Square, there's tons of shops, big and small and many eateries. For subway fare, buy a 7 day pass (i think it's $20 now). Um...wear your wallet in your front pocket and have a map with you to figure out where the hell you are and where the hell you want to go.

Enjoy and stay the **** out of my way, thanks (it's the new york way of saying, "Hi")

biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 75
If your into medieval history, hit the Cloisters museum in upper Manhattan, very cool artifacts. Ellis Island is a great place,too.

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 75
if you have time, the frick (sp?) museum is a good stop. also, drop by the "dirt room" if it is still around.

don't forget your roller skates when you go to the guggenheim.

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 75
B&H Camera is my choice if you're into cameras. Adorama has better used gear but inspect it yourself, they like to say "mint -" meaning "beat to hell and full of sand". If you like music take a walk up W.48th street., Manny's and most of the block is now owned by Sam Ash so you won't find much price cutting but plenty to see. Chrysler building of course. Forbidden Planet down Broadway between Houston and Union Square, games comics and figures. Campbell Apartment, a great bar in Central Station. Get a deli sandwich from a Garden of Eden and eat it for two days.

Jun 6, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 75
Maybe there is a Guitar Center in NYC so you can pick up the Shure E2c you have been going for the past couple of weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 75
Jun 6, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 75
Oh great!!! NY city is a fun place to go compare with Toronto!!!
Based on all your info, I plan to go:

Wall Street
J&R and Guitar Center
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

Chrysler Building
Union Square

Any other suggestion? (please give me address!!) Any other place vistor should go?

Since I plan to drive my car to New York, should I take subway or drive car in New York City?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back