Plagarism in the Internet Age - A Pointless, Incoherent Friday Morning Rant
Nov 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
So I happened to be perusing Amazon.co.uk for no particular reason at all when I came across a customer review for the Sennheiser CX280. The title of said review looked quite familiar to me: "Sennheiser CX280 - CX Series Redefined." I thought, "That's interesting. This guy/lady/thing apparently liked the title of my review enough to use it for his/her/its own." Of course, after mulling this thought over for about 2 seconds I finally realized that my review had been copied almost verbatim, without any link back to my Head-Fi thread.

I'm glad 3 people found my review helpful!

Now I don't think any of my contributions here at Head-Fi are that great, but I would like a little credit whenever someone makes up a quick dish of copypasta using my posts. Is that too much to ask?

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 7
Can amazon ban reviewers ? If so, simply show evidence of the copy paste the guy has done and have amazon do what ever to him. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 At least the guy copied a good review.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 7
There's perks for reviewer rank crud on Amazon.  IE:  being offered free products for review.

I'm not shocked that everyone isn't being honest and doing shady things like that to get ahead.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Be cool man, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this.

Perhaps that person was you from an alternate dimension/timeline.

I refuse to believe that I'm anything less than Emperor of the World in an alternate reality. In said reality, I have decreed that Internet plagiarism is punishable by death. :veryevil:

Can amazon ban reviewers ? If so, simply show evidence of the copy paste the guy has done and have amazon do what ever to him. :veryevil:  At least the guy copied a good review.:D

I've thought of doing that, but I'm thinking I'd be more worthwhile if some Head-Fiers (if willing) spam the comments sections of the review. :evil:

And thanks for complement. :D

There's perks for reviewer rank crud on Amazon.  IE:  being offered free products for review.

I'm not shocked that everyone isn't being honest and doing shady things like that to get ahead.

One thing I don't understand is why companies like Sennheiser take part in the Amazon Vine Program. I understand this probably gives them more mainstream exposure, but Head-Fiers would offer a much more authentic and objective assessment of their products, just as I have tried to do in the past with many cheap Sennheisers including the CX280.

Some of those reviews read like senior papers. 

So that's where he got the rest of the reviews. :cool:

Unless your talking about mine, too. :frown:

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
One thing I don't understand is why companies like Sennheiser take part in the Amazon Vine Program. I understand this probably gives them more mainstream exposure, but Head-Fiers would offer a much more authentic and objective assessment of their products, just as I have tried to do in the past with many cheap Sennheisers including the CX280.

Truly beats me.  They could just ask you to cross post directly.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back