Places to shop online for Canadians
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

slackmaster_s

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been lurking without registering for a while
wink.gif

I wanna get a new pair of headphones, really only have been using Sony MDR-V300 and JBL Reference 410, so nothing really audiophile.

I've done searches in this forum and a lot of people say it's a lot cheaper to buy online if you're in Canada, so can someone recommend me some sites that ship to Canada?

All the sites I've managed to find are all US-only
frown.gif

Still not looking for anything fancy though, my budget is just around $100, preferably shipped.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me on this,

Thanks!
darthsmile.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 19
Headroom ships to Canada. They are a real treat to deal with. No, they don't pay me.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom ships to Canada. They are a real treat to deal with. No, they don't pay me.
wink.gif

did you ever get charged customs taxes when you bought from them? (if you did)

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 19
http://www.ncix.com is based in BC and carries a few Sennheiser models. I guess BestBuy and FutureShop carries a few headphones as well.

Aside from that, the best deals usually come from Head-Fi's marketplace and its Canada friendly sellers.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 19
Futureshop will rape you if you go in there looking for good headphones. I find the best prices on Ebay or here on Head-Fi. For Grados there is STEREOTYPE AUDIO that is reasonable. I still haven't figured out how customs taxes work. Sometimes I am charged sometimes not. I try only to buy at a really good price so If I am hit with duty, the savings will absorb the blow.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radioheadache /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that, the best deals usually come from Head-Fi's marketplace and its Canada friendly sellers.

The way the Canadian dollar is tanking right now, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent deal (unless it's a Canadian seller) when phones are priced in USD. It would be better to buy domestic anything at this point. That said, I'm not familiar with Canadian sites selling headphones, please chime in, people in the know!

Oh, if you're contemplating buying from the US, read up on this, and save yourself some trouble.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 19
I would just wait, few places deal in CAD, and although the fundamentals of the canadian dollar are strong, it's being hammered in the markets. XE.com is quoting ~1.25CDN per USD. 25%!!!

Unfortunately NCIX has very few senn models and charges msrp. Not online, but you might be able to call up Bay Bloor Radio and ask what options they have. There is also a small shop (tiny, tiny shop) here in Waterloo called Soundstage audio that is an authorized dealer for shure, senn, grados (in stock, and sometimes on sale!), and he can get things ordered for about 10-15% less than MSRP.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Futureshop will rape you if you go in there looking for good headphones. I find the best prices on Ebay or here on Head-Fi. For Grados there is STEREOTYPE AUDIO that is reasonable. I still haven't figured out how customs taxes work. Sometimes I am charged sometimes not. I try only to buy at a really good price so If I am hit with duty, the savings will absorb the blow.

PIXEL PUSHER is the proprietor of Stereotype audio and is based in Markham. 'nuff said. Great to deal locally, and offers Allesandro units to boot!

A4Audio.com is another audio shop located in Canada with good prices.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 19
if you HAVE to get new im guessing Headroom, but the forums are great for used phones. Also futureshop and bestbuy if you get lucky on sales.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 19
I've recently found that Crutchfield is selling Denons in Canada. Since those are very popular right now I thought I'd pass that along.

Normally I've found them to be high prices in the US but I found the Denon AH-D2000 for $299.99 CAD (shipping included) on there recently. If they sound very much like my 5000's then that's a pretty good deal. Too bad the rest of the cans on there are Bose.
confused_face.gif

Link to headphone section:
TV Cables, Stands & Mounts: HDMI, Component, Wall Mount, TV Stand

-LB

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend getting a Canadian. They're difficult to house train.

LOL...that's what I thought too when I read the subject line...besides, they get maple syrup all over the place, leave empty Molson cans on the couch, and I keep tripping over all these hockey sticks...

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend getting a Canadian. They're difficult to house train.

lol

also, Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more. sells M-audio headphones as well as some ultimate ears models at pretty competitive prices i've found. there's a chain of these stores in southern ontario and they sell online as well.

click on the "headset/microphone" category on the left to find headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back