Placebophile Cat 8 Ethernet Cable
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 54
Not if you consider the actual media bit rate. No current media requires anything near that speed.

Sure, if all you do is watch streaming videos. But then any kind of wired connection is complete overkill, except perhaps for reliability (and even then, you might be better off paying for something more than consumer-grade WiFi equipment than making holes in your walls).

If you're actually creating content or working with some other variety of large files, then yes, there are plenty of situations that could benefit from well over 1 (or even 10, especially as SSDs improve) Gb/s of bandwidth. Ethernet is good for a little more than just talking with devices somewhere over the internet.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #33 of 54
Sorry, but for which reasons may one prefer a Cat7/8 ETH cable versus a multimode 850nm fiber?

It sounds better, the soundstaging is improved, imaging just pops, it increases the space between instruments, creates blacker blacks, and makes me feel like the musicians are right in my room!

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #34 of 54
It sounds better, the soundstaging is improved, imaging just pops, it increases the space between instruments, creates blacker blacks, and makes me feel like the musicians are right in my room!

Well with a fiber ETH transmission (not TOSLINK) no scientific reason not to have same sound characteristics.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #35 of 54
Well with a fiber ETH transmission (not TOSLINK) no scientific reason not to have same sound characteristics.

Oh, right.

That must be why everything I wrote previously was in satire. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 54

Oh, right.

That must be why everything I wrote previously was in satire. 
wink_face.gif

That was my guess either, but not 100% sure.
wink_face.gif

Looking at it in a pure transmission point of view, I always wondered why such fiber seem not to be so common in Ethernet Audio.

I agree it is less sexy than some Vodka cables with silver shield...

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #40 of 54
HELP NEEDED

im using cat 7 from router to imac. also running modi multibit into earmaxpro tube amp and intona. ive read cat 7 shielding can cause ground loops despite all its rf/emi reduction. should i swap to an unshielded cat 6 or continue with my 7. its just a metre so cost not a factor. many thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #41 of 54
  HELP NEEDED

im using cat 7 from router to imac. also running modi multibit into earmaxpro tube amp and intona. ive read cat 7 shielding can cause ground loops despite all its rf/emi reduction. should i swap to an unshielded cat 6 or continue with my 7. its just a metre so cost not a factor. many thanks.

Reading about a potential problem and having a potential problem are not the same. 

Why do you think you have a problem?  Are you having electrical noise?  Digital drop-outs?

If there are no problems, there is no change needed.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #42 of 54
on computer audiophile they have been talking about inaudible negative effects from unwanted ground loops or similar undesirable effects from cat 7. ive spent alot on my intona industrial and do want to compromise it if the cat 7 can really cause such issues. they are saying the shielding on both ends can cause such problems??? i have no desire for placebo comforts just the real facts to inform me accordingly.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #43 of 54
  on computer audiophile they have been talking about inaudible negative effects from unwanted ground loops or similar undesirable effects from cat 7.

If they're inaudible, why does it matter?

Your playback system has lots of things wrong (e.g. electrical noise at -100 dB) that are below the audible threshold. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #44 of 54
hi watch this is the reply:::

A shielded cable will introduce leakage currents and ground loops. The signal isn't affected much with Ethernet, but the side effects are not good. Use unshielded Ethernet.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #45 of 54
  hi watch this is the reply:::

A shielded cable will introduce leakage currents and ground loops. The signal isn't affected much with Ethernet, but the side effects are not good. Use unshielded Ethernet.

Anyone can type words.  Anyone can create a hypothesis that might or might not be true.

They should show measurements and data to support whether the phenomena exist and, if so, how big/bad is it?  Or is it inconsequential?

Buying stuff based on imagined possibilities is the route to audiophilia nervosa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back