PL-30 vs Altec Lansing Upgrader UHP336 (Rebranded Super fi. 3)
Dec 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 22
I've never tried the PL-30.

At $40, the UHP336 are great bang for buck. The Super.fi 3 and UHP336 MSRP for $120, and the cheapest price Super.fi 3s normally go for is a bit over $60. Even at $60, many people feel that the Super.fi 3s are well priced.

Buy.com sales don't have any timeframe. Sometimes a week, sometimes shorter.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 22
This is taken from a previous thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOORAN I agree with you. The Altec Lansing UHP336 sound great with a very nice soundstage. I think because they are so inexspensive that they are over looked. I really liked my pl-30 but when I got the Altec Lansing UHP336 I only use the pl-30 for tv-movies now and use the 336 for all my music. The 336 are so very clear with great highs and just enought bass. I couldnt use the pl-30 for my portable radio show that is all voice because of the bass but I can use the 336. The 336 has a super mid range sound. I use the head dieect bi-flange tips with it.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 22
If the UHP336 is a rebranded Super fi.3, then in my opinion (I have both), it wacks the pl-30 in most aspects, especially in details, clear highs, mids, and a better defined bass. Durability also seems much better with the super fi.3.
So 40 dollars is a great value price compared to the price of pl-30

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 22
Damn, the UHP336 are £50 over here in the UK
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 22
Of course, they're sell normally for MUCH higher than the others, and while the others are considered solid budget performers, the UE SF3s are often favorably compared with headphones in their own price range, as well as slightly more expensive ones.

While budget headphones can be very good ones, they don't really compare as you move up.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if I were throw Jbuds J2s in there, the Altec Lansings would still win huh?

How is there comfort? Is there anything else that can compete with them under $40?

I have both the Altecs and J2's. The J2's are good enough with better tips and a little treble added to still get some ear time but they don't have the clarity or refinement of the Altecs. Less separation and treble extension but the detail and low end extension are more competitive than the PL-30 versus the Altec. I prefer the J2 to the PL30. They fall in between but closer to the Soundmagic than to the Altec.

Comfort is lacking with the Altec due to the cable. The cable is going quite soon as it sucks badly compared to the SF 5 cable and the J2 cable. It is just too stiff. I ordered this cable ULTIMATE EARS IN-EARPHONE UPGRADE CABLE - eBay (item 300271203973 end time Nov-11-08 03:07:04 PST) which should bring the Altecs to a new level of sound and comfort.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Alright, now I know for SURE that I'm getting an IEM below 50 bucks.

I'm going to go ahead and knock the PL30 off the list. It seems as if the J2s would be better for a similar price.

If the Altec Lansings have a replaceable cable like the SF3, then I think I'm leaning towards them. I just want an IEM that would be a pretty decent upgrade from my Marshmallows.

The things I didn't like about the Marshmallows were:
-Microphonics (I suppose an over-the-ear design would handle this? Do J2s suffer from this)?
-Too much bass. Ugh. I suppose the Altec Lansings would be good with this.
-Hated the foam. In the cold weather, it would be very cumbersome to get a good seal.

Anyway, would anyone recommend anything better for the price?

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 22
i was actually wondering about the uhp336 since im thinking of getting it for the cheap price..dont really know what rebranded is

does that mean the ue replacement cables and tips work for it as well or no?

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was actually wondering about the uhp336 since im thinking of getting it for the cheap price..dont really know what rebranded is

does that mean the ue replacement cables and tips work for it as well or no?

It means it is the exact same thing inside and out as the UE Super.fi 3. Except for the fact that the UHP336 are grey and have the Altec Lansing Logo.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 22
Okay, I promise this is my last post (at least I hope)

I'm going to get the Super fi. 3, but was just wondering how much do they stick out (a pic would be awesome), and if you think the comfort is good.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 22
The PL-30 sit flush in the ear and the UHP336 stick out a bit. The PL-30 are so very comfortable but the UHP336 are also comfortable but not as much as the PL-30.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Well. I went ahead and ordered a pair. It's funny too, because I got 2-day shipping for 99 cents. There was a 5 percent coupon floating around that I used, plus when I fiddled around with the shipping options, buy.com was considerate enough to give me 2-day shipping for 2.99 as a "special promotion" (I know, I was all like What, why tell me when I already gave you my credentials)!

So, needless to say, I'm happy. Hopefully I can put the Marshmallows to rest and use some better IEMs. I don't care if they're comfortable enough, as long as I don't look like an elephant while I'm at it.

KOSS KSC75+Cheapo Super fi.3 = Heaven at a budget price

Thanks to everyone for the help in my numerous topics. Whee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back