PL 2500s and tube amps
Mar 8, 2008 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
I tried searching for info,but couldn't find anything concrete on the topic.. sooo, does anyone have experiencing with the Ultrasone line (preferably PL 2500s) and their synergy with tube amps versus SS?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating trying the WA6 amp, but wonder if the PL 2500s would be responsive, or would I have to invest (again) in either the K701s or HD650s..

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried searching for info,but couldn't find anything concrete on the topic.. sooo, does anyone have experiencing with the Ultrasone line (preferably PL 2500s) and their synergy with tube amps versus SS?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating trying the WA6 amp, but wonder if the PL 2500s would be responsive, or would I have to invest (again) in either the K701s or HD650s..

IMO the PROline 2500 respond well to tubes. Earlier today I met w/ vorlon1 and boomana to check various portable amps and cans. One to the cans I brought were the PROline 2500. Boomana mention that in some passages the highs become shrill. This is the same comment that has been made by others, and there is a thread on it.

So when I got home I listened to the PROline 2500 w/ a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ the full PinkFloyd Mods and a Singlepower MPX3. A lot of the shrillness is gone, next I will implement the Frits mods!
cool.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 10
I agree with Mrarroyo on the MF (in my case the X-can V3). I find the 2500 are not extremely amp dependent, but (by far) the best performance I heard from them are with the Rudistor RPX-100.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 10
I have heard the PL out of both, SS and tube amps, between both worlds, I like them far better with SS amps, they need high current to perform its best, while you go to tube amps with the PL's, then you need a transformer coupled output, which I do not like, or in OTL then spend an small fortune on a good OTL amp that can go that low in Z...

BTW the MF, IIRC, is a hybrid amp, it is not an all tube amp....

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 10
I have PL750 and LD2++ and feel it quite good. The sound becomes much warmer and more crystalized than it is while unamped.

However, due to the high clarity of PL750, it usually reveals distortion caused by the amp but it is hardly noticeable. Probably buying a better tube amp or changing tubes could solve this tiny flaw.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...BTW the MF, IIRC, is a hybrid amp, it is not an all tube amp....

True. But you can still change the sound signature with tube rolling.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. But you can still change the sound signature with tube rolling.

Yes, you can change also the sound signature OPAmprolling and changing transistors that is not new, and not a secret, but due to the nature of being hybrid, it has indeed high current output, and it should be faster than most tube amps, as one step is SS, though it is suited for low Z as well...

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...due to the nature of being hybrid, it has indeed high current output, and it should be faster than most tube amps, as one step is SS, though it is suited for low Z as well...

OK, I see what you mean.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 10
I've had very good success pairing the PL2500/750 w/both the all-tube Darkvoice 336i and the hybrid Bada PH-12. The RAL/PL750 was by-far-and-away my favorite of the two w/either amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back