PK1s a great match with Sony A8xx
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tstarn06

Banned
I usually never plug in the Yuin PK1s without an amp, since they typically need an amp since they are so hard to drive (and an amp really brings out their best SQ). Last night, on a whim, for the first time I plugged the PK1s into the Sony A816 I recently bought, and wow, they sounded pretty darn good and didn't need to be pushed to the max volume (did use a little EQ on the bottom end). Others on Head-Fi have said they use PK1s ampless, and I always disregarded it. But with the Sony, for whatever reason, there was plenty of volume. Not so with the Zune80, for example, though even at max volume it's not bad.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry but I test PK1 with A818 and it is not that good. It gives you sound but does not mean it push it well.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Didn't mean to infer that the PK1s is at its best with the Sony, but to me, the volume is at least listenable (as opposed to the Zune, which you can barely hear). I still use the PK3s without an amp. I was just surprised.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm curious if the Zune 80 is louder then the Zune 30 because, I definitely agree that the Zune doesn't seem to go very loud. Maybe, I'm going deaf, but I find Grado SR-60s with the Zune at max volume level bearable. I mean its definitely good enough, but it just bothers me.

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 5
I think the Zune really needs phones that don't need much to drive them. The Atrios really don't NEED an amp, nor do the PK3s. But the PK1s and the iM716s most definitely do. I was just surprised at the volume I got from the Sony DAP using the PK1s, and I didn't find the sound offensive in any way, and certainly loud enough. But again the PK1s just were made for amping, so faichiu is right, in a way. But the Zune80 needs the right phones to get real headroom, but as you said, who needs too loud anyway? I know the fact you can hit the max with the SR-60s is annoying. Makes me want to plug the SR-80s and see how that goes. I don't use the SR-80s much anymore, with the PK1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back