PK1 is a bit disappointing
Sep 10, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Breakless with IEM!! Pray you won't be headless one of those days!!
blink.gif

No one should try that!!

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #18 of 30
but seriously this is an open facts, do u expect an earbud sound as IEM?

so i think no complain shall be made on no isolation as to sound bad.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brakeless? what's the point, so you can brag about it?

Yes. On the internets.

Read up on the subject if you're interested.

I'm contemplating on the PK1 versus PK2 myself. The CORDA MOVE just arrived so I'd be using them both amped & unamped.

Could PK1 replace MS1 for me? (having DAC1+HD650 for desk use already. well, soon.) That'd decide it. Opinions?

Can anyone confirm yuin.7.forumer.com as a safe place to get YUIN in europe?

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 30
zkn, you really should have a listen to your peers.
frown.gif

I dont know where you ride with earclappers on, but if it is anywhere like Boston, or NYC, you my friend are dead meat. Roadkill.

YOu enter a different environment with earplugs in. Kinda like becoming deef to the outside, dead to the world. Angelic biker.
redface.gif

YKMV.

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 30
true.

i don't suggest this for anyone in NYC traffic really (even though it's pretty slow paced compared to here) but actually works great when just training in mostly empty roads and paths

back to the subject please

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 30
I don't think anyone has ever praised them for their ability to isolate. That and their bass-extension below ~35Hz are their biggest weaknesses.

Read/see through forum hype and FOTM madness. There is no such thing as a perfect headphphone. IMHO there never will be, given the laws of business, economics, physics and acoustics. Its up to us to weigh each product on our own value-scale.

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, sounds like you didn't understand what an earbud was all about. No one ever said they were great walking around headphones for isolation, but with a decent amp, they still sound great to me, ambient noise and all. If I want isolation on a plane or train (or to block out the sound of Grey's Anatomy in my living room), I use my Atrios. When I want to hear car horns, etc., (so I don't get run over walking the streets of Philly), I use my PK1s and an amp. They sound fine.

Anyone who understood the concept of an earbud (vs. an IEM or canal phone) would not have bought a PK-branded phone, simple as that. No one ever claimed they provided the same isolation as an Ety or other IEM or full-sized headphone. Why blame your lack of understanding on the product, when no one has ever claimed that an earbud could deliver sound isolation? Seems like misplaced hostility. In quiet environments, the PK1s are equals to any of my admittedly mid-priced phones.

I only wish I could have seen your thread before I bought my PK1s, cause I probably could have saved some money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this thread just goes to show that there is no perfect phone for every situation. If I want isolation in a noisy environment I use my e2c, they don't sound as nice as the pk1 but they are made for isolation. Although, I would never walk around with my e2c on, it's just too dangerous.
blink.gif

I actually find that pk1 are perfect for library use. They are quiet enough that I can turn them up and not disturb anyone around me, but they let sound in so I know if someone is trying to get my attention. They are also the perfect size compared to full size cans. After having to carry around twenty pounds of text books, notebooks and a laptop, the last thing I want is the bulk of a full size headphone. These little things fit in the small pocket of my backpack right next to my glasses.

For the price, I think these are great little phones, they also sound very nice (IMHO) compared to bigger cans but are much more portable.

I am in complete agreement. I have IEMs for my portable rig when I need isolation (air travel) and for ideal listening environments, the PK1's. I travel with work and time spent in hotels is made more pleasant when a good pair of earbuds are on hand. Formerly my E888's fulfilled this requirement (they still do when I travel without my amp) but the PK1's have raised my portable SQ level significantly. This is the right balance for me as spending more on IEMs would not be preferable, I find them inherently uncomfortable on longer listening sessions. Furthermore, the noisy environments where they are best suited are generally distracting/multi-tasking as well, for me the E2c's are sufficient. Just IMHO.
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 30
I don't really mind the lack of bass depth in these, because I never use them for critical listening. In fact with these things I don't really focus heavily on the music, they are just music while I'm doing something else, like work, reading or gym.

I don't think these should be anyones main cans.

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 30
I wouldn't say that, while I'm at the work I was talking about, I often listen to D&B. They sound good but not ED9 good. I don't miss that bottom octave of bass in the environment I use them, but certainly would if listening for it.

Never heard an MS1.

And these don't need an amp IF you have a powerful source. My iAudio and even straight out the 5.5G ipod they sound good. Maybe not great but still good. Far better than out of a PC anyway.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i guess drum 'n bass wouldn't be very enjoyable with these?

please can anyone compare these to MS1 amped?

Its a matter of preference of the individual. How important is it for you to hear sounds from 20~35 Hz? I for one don't place that much importance on those kinds of sounds, and with a little EQ tweeking you can fine tune that to taste.

IMHO they are very similar to the MS1. IMHO the PK1 are faster and more "snappy" sounding, but the MS1 has better deep-bass extension. IMHO both phones are sensitive to the type of foam-pad you use, so there is some fine-tuning that can be done with either to tweek the sound.

When listening to Grados (or the MS1) and then switching to the PK1. Is like..."Hey what happend to the bottom octaves?". After a couple songs, "Whoa... these earbuds pack some serious impact, dynamics and detail resolution... who cares about the sub-bass."

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 30
Good to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope they will release prototype samples by the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back