PJB-100 ... best way to record MP3's?
Oct 7, 2001 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by kerykeion
Sorry dumb question... but what exactly is ATRAC? ... Is it a compressed format developed by Sony purely for MD usage? Can it be used to replace .mp3 files?? (forgive me if this was a trivial question
biggrin.gif
)

ATRAC stands for Adaptive TRansform Acoustic Coding. To keep it short, it is a compression algorithm used to store the information content from a stream of 16-bit samples in fewer bits.

It is a lossy compression algorithm, and that's why I'm sticking to my CD-A disks. Nothing with lossy compression replaces these.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

So you cannot do a CD -> .wav -> ATRAC like you could for CD -> .wav -> .mp3

You don't need to -- you can go directly from CD to ATRAC. Unless I'm not understanding you?

Oct 7, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #19 of 26
Do you mean a COMPUTER based solution with ATRAC? eeks....that'll be a while off. It sounds like you want to REPLACE MP3 with ATRAC.....literally.

Hmm....well, the best I can think of is Real Audio 8 (ATRAC3).....it's much better than MP3 at equivalent bitrates, IMHO.

Then again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding you........???

Oct 7, 2001 at 4:11 PM Post #20 of 26
Johnnylexus,

I just returned my PJB 6000 to best buy, yestarday. It would automatically power down when fully charged, even if the auto shutoff were extended. Being that it tops out at about 192kbs encoding before the dreaded clicks start that are so common to these units, I never got clean +192 playback, so I can't comment on the difference up there. I will say I was happy at 192k for portable use with the etys, however.

From what you say, they changed a lot with it if it is clickless/popless at 320kbs. Also, the older firmware allowed for about 10 position bass and treble, not 3? It was accessed through the sound selection on the menu.

Have you found a way to make playback include gaps? My recordings using LAME (Frauhoffer) frequently got clipped at the beggining, which was annoying and not addressed in any of the forums I could find.

The last issue I'll say I had with the PJB 6000 in extensive testing between it, the RS-3904 and Sharp MT-MD90, was anemic line level output and a mild, but livable hiss, coming from the amplifier section (detected using my JMT w/gain designed in at plus 6db and ety 4S). The hiss wasn't as bad as the quieter noise coming from the 3904's line out, which is a more insidious crackling that seems to be a function of signal strength. I know I'm getting off the beaten path of your question, but I found very little direct comparison involving PJB's on this site and thought I'd share this. My final conclusion about the unit was that its sound was actually sufficient for my setup, but other HDD/Archos issues eclipsed the desire to hold on to it.

I wish you long lasting success with this unit in the field. I hope to gain more confidence in music HDD's in the future. The decision to return it also allowed me to go to my garage and open the SL-CT570 that would have been sold (unopened) had I kept the Archos. Its gone full circle for me and I suppose I'll have to get used to carrying CD's (They're more portable with a carry case than MD's are, anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

CWW

Archos forum

Also try Yahoo discussion groups if you haven't already. The URL is among this forums posts.

Oct 7, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 26
A different device I think, CWW. The PJB100 is not the same as the Archos. The Hango PJB has always sounded good, but older versions of the firmware and download manager were pretty sad and were obviously lifted straight out of R&D without much testing. Newer ones are much improved.

Oct 7, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Do you mean a COMPUTER based solution with ATRAC? eeks....that'll be a while off. It sounds like you want to REPLACE MP3 with ATRAC.....literally.

Hmm....well, the best I can think of is Real Audio 8 (ATRAC3).....it's much better than MP3 at equivalent bitrates, IMHO.

Yeah, I meant a computer-based solution .. but I guess it doesn't exist yet. However you mentioned Real Audio.. what exactly can that do that deals with ATRAC?

Oct 7, 2001 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 26
Well, Real Audio 8 (the newest codec or whatnot) is in essence ATRAC3 - I *think* the highest bitrate is 132 Kbps - that's what I remember.

Equivalent to MDLP2 - which sounds fine for portable use to my ears.

I'm not sure though - just check the news about Real Jukebox at real's site....that should help you out....

hope this helps.....

- vij

Oct 7, 2001 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

ATRAC is available as a downloadable CODEC for ripping. The end result when used properly is an MP3 file (playable on MP3 equipment and software) which has been processed through ATRAC rather than MP3 - I think. Hopefully link to follow.

I don't think that's possible. ATRAC is a *different* encoding method that MP3. As such, it requires an ATRAC decoder.

Different MP3 encoders all use the same encoding "language" (so to speak) -- the difference is that use different algorithms for deciding what part of the signal is "inaudible" (and thus which parts can be "lost). Since they all use the same standard encoding, they can be played back on any MP3 player.

ATRAC is a completely different technology. It is based on the same theory (removing "inaudible" parts of the signal to save space), but it uses a completely different encoding "language" that requires a different DEcoder.

An "ATRAC MP3" would be a file that has been compressed twice, and would need two different decoders to play back.

Oct 8, 2001 at 3:39 AM Post #26 of 26
Ya, listen to MacDEF - he knows what he's talkin about
biggrin.gif

The way it worked for me is I downloaded Real Jukebox X (forgot version) which now had the newest Real Audio codec (RA8). There were some links, and apparently, Sony and Real had signed a deal - Real Audio 8 was essentially ATRAC3.

You encode JUST LIKE MP3, and playback JUST LIKE MP3, but a hardware device for mp3 or software without ATRAC3 (Real Audio 8) codecs won't work......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back