Pittsburgh, PA --Saturday, March 14--Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2015 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
First, a big THANK YOU to the Music To My Ear for hosting this meet. It was a pleasure listening to so much nice gear and meeting so many friendly faces. My hope is that this meet was merely the first of many. 

Please feel free to use this thread to post impressions and pictures from the meet!

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 18
I had a great time today.  It was a pleasure talking with you all and trying out all the high end headphones and amps/dacs that I've been interested in.  Also my thanks to Music to My Ears for hosting his event.  

My impressions of the gear that I liked the most:

toobuzz's TH900 and Chord Hugo - the clarity and open-ness of TH900 was impressive for such a dynamic sounding headphone, the Hugo had a huge soundstage paired even with my humble HP100.

The LCD-3 and LCD-X - really dig the powerful and textured bass and mids.  Also tried the XC but it just sounded a bit muffled compared to its siblings.  Not my cup of tea in terms of comfort.  

HD800 - Not surprisingly the most open sounding of all the cans I've tried to today.  This and the TH600 are easily the most comfy that I've ever tried.  

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 18
What a great event!
Our gang, PiTAG (Pittsburgh Audio Group) had a wonderful time.

While we are not quite the Head-Fi aficionados like you guys, we love good music & always appreciate good gear.
It never fails to amaze me how audiophiles from any genre of the hobby are always some of the nicest folks you will ever come across.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet every one, and of course special thanks the guys at Music To My Ears for opening up the shop.

I too, hope this is only the first of many more events.

Be well,

Bill (aka The Practicing Curmudgeon) & the PiTAG gang.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Huge thanks to everybody who came! Meet was a blast!

Other than meeting awesome people, totally enjoyed trying different gear and left with understanding that my current headphones will benefit a lot from better amplification.

My favorite setup of the day (there were many great headphones there, but - There Can Be Only One) - HE560 powered by Lyr 1 + Bifrost. Amazing smooth, warm and aggressive sound, and very comfy to wear.

-- Olek

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 18
Once again my deepest and most sincere thanks to the folks at Music to My Ears for having us on Saturday and the fantastic time that they hosted. The drive (2 1/2 hours) was more than worth it. Without a doubt that was the most spectacular headphone related store and event I have ever had the pleasure of attending. Special thanks to Joe for arranging the meet.

Now down to brass tacks. Gear I was able to sample for the first time

HD 600
HD 800
Fostex TH-900
Alpha Prime
Audeze LCD-3 
Audeze LCD-XC
Schiit Lyr
Unknown Sennheiser amp
Marantz AMP/DAC
Chord Hugo
(and a few I am sure I am forgetting)

Stars of the show:
Chord Hugo DAC/AMP - absolutely fantastic!!!     (Too bad it is way out of my price range)
Fostex TH-900 nearly identical to the Alpha Prime but more versatile per toobuzz- I would be happy with either as endgame.

Most Disappointing - Audeze LCD-XC : Vocals really recessed and sloppy Bass not pleasing at all while the LCD-3 was fantastic and a totally different sound.

Based on my budget and what I heard my next purchase is going to be - Sennheiser HD600. Very very nice sound and in my proce range.

Once again my thanks to Music To My Ear - I will be seeing them again I am sure.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Just want to say, Thanks everyone for coming out :)   Was fun actually being able to nerd out about gear differences with likeminded individuals.  My female acquaintance usually just gets glossy-eyed whenever audio components come up (she was happy with her old-style iBuds before she stole my vmoda),

My takeaways:

I need new Grado pads for my MS1.  After further review, I have a pair of Ear Zonk G-Cush on the way (curious how it'll affect)
iBasso DX90 is in the cards.  The difference between my phone/clip and the DX90 is larger than I expected; and I can double duty it as work DAC/AMP when needed.  I'l likely sell my c5d to finance.
I still want a Schiit Bifrost - but it can probably wait.  While noticeable; I don't think it's as big a difference as the DAP upgrade will be.   I'll likely upgrade, but will likely stay at the same priority.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks to both Music To Your Ears for hosting and to Joe for arranging the meet.  I appreciated having the chance check out everything that I did.

I was most impressed with LCD3, Alpha Primes, and Hugo Chord.  Don't really want to say much more than that other than everyone was so kind to bring their gear in to let all of us try it out.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 18
I had a really good time at the meet.  It was nice meeting everyone and listening to the gear.  Music to my Ear is an awesome store!  I hope we have more meets down the road.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 18
So; I went with a goal of photos of all the sweet gear.  I ended up too busy listening to do that, but I did take a few snaps.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 18
Great photos!

And again, huge thanks to host Music To Your Ears and to Joe!

... My wallet is on a run and trying to hide from me now. I should have known better than to come to that meet. :wink:

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 18
  Good pics - great job. I too brought my camera but didn't even bother takin gpics - too much to listen to.

I even had my camera around my neck while playing with your Project Sunrise amp and didn't take a picture, shows how many toys we had to play with in a short amount of time.. :)

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Hey folks,

(I hope somebody's still got a subscription to this thread.)

On a whim last week, I searched for "Pittsburgh" on head-fi. It was bittersweet to discover that I'm not the only one in town who cares about headphones, but that I had missed this event.

I headed out to Music To My Ear on Saturday (I didn't even know the place existed!) and there I found my dream-come-true wall - every can I've only read about was on display and available to try. I had a wonderful hour there. I met Kerry, who let me try everything I wanted on the wall. I walked out feeling pretty certain it'll be time for an upgrade in a few months, and I'll be headed straight back to MTME when the time comes.

If anybody would enjoy another meet, I'm totally game. I'd bring my gear:
- HE-500
- LFF Paradox
- Resonessence Concero HP
- iQube
- Pico

Maybe, if MTME stocks the Ether or the HE-1000, we could coordinate a meet around that time, and compare impressions. If it goes the way I expect, there may be a few purchases made that day.

I subscribed to this thread, in the hopes that news of a future meet gets posted here. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 18
I was at that meet. Sorry you missed it but glad you found MTME - they are a GREAT bunch if guys and an awesome store I will gladly make the two hour drive to give them my business in the future. See you there next time - JK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back