Pitchfork's Top 100 of the 70's
Jun 23, 2004 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

silentperfection

100+ Head-Fier
Well they've started it today so time to disagree.
biggrin.gif
But anyways, they always make interesting lists whether or not you agree with it or not.

Pitchfork

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 19
So far I actually like a bunch of their picks, whereas I usually take their "reviews" with a pillar of salt.

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the list. I love lists!

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 19
hahaha they might as well call this list "albums out before we were born!"

anybody wanna take bets on the clash and ramones self-titleds' on being in the top ten?
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch
hahaha they might as well call this list "albums out before we were born!"

anybody wanna take bets on the clash and ramones self-titleds' on being in the top ten?
wink.gif

you lost that bet - #44 and #23 respectively - both beaten by

wire - pink flag. (i'd had hoped this was in the top ten.)

care for a bet about london calling on #1?
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 19
That is a fun list.
cool.gif

A lot I do not have but would like to and a couple I've never heard of.

Nice suprises: Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures' at #9.
cool.gif

One Stones 'Exile', Zeppelin III (my Fav), Iggy Pop, Neil Young, and David Bowie's prominence, Meddle over DSOTM.

Gripe:Sex Pistols should be in the top 20.

Jun 26, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Typical Pitchfork: the "best" as selected by 21st century elitist cultural marxists. Reminds me of why the '70s was fun - these nitwits were not in charge of anything. Significant portions of this list are unlistenable dreck and in no way represent the best of the 70s.

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 19
Still amused at #1 album of the 1970's.......not shocked that it would be a David Bowie album, but why choose a mediocre album like Low? Bowie has done much better than that!

Are they seriously saying Low is superior to gloden age Bowie works like Ziggy Stardust or Aladin Sane? Even albums the came before and after Low (station to station & Heroes) are superior efforts.
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Reminds me of why the '70s was fun - these nitwits were not in charge of anything. Significant portions of this list are unlistenable dreck and in no way represent the best of the 70s.

You have a point, but "dreck" is a little harsh.

There certainly can be a great variety of 70s lists possible.

Any look at the 70s with a view other than condescension is refreshing to me. Too often the entire decade gets written off as an embarrassment when I think it had many musical pioneers and variety.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 19
pitchfork is a big fan of latter day sins it seems, at least with their top 100 lists. i think that's the explanation for not having one black sabbath or aerosmith album on there, and it's not like i was alive, but i'm pretty sure those bands were a decently big part of the 70's.

i like the list somewhat because of how atypical it is, but was miles davis really that strong in the 70's? i have not heard many good things about his later works, and i get the feeling they just needed some jazz to throw in there? ah well. i'm still not the biggest fan of london calling (especially when compared to ramones' self-titled and clash's own self-titled uk release).

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 19
I've been reading pitchfork for a looong time and sometimes get criticized for defending them but here I go again. All their lists are made as fairly as possible: A 100 space ballot. Each staff member lists their personal top ten and each space is awarded that number of points. When an oddball album comes out on top, it's because a large number of the journalists placed it fairly high up. Sure it isn't a coherent vision of the 70's, but it's an interesting exercise and can give those without a ton of knowledge of the era a good starting point.

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Typical Pitchfork: the "best" as selected by 21st century elitist cultural marxists.

plenty of reasons to dislike Pitchfork, of course, but -- am i missing the Marxism somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back