Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 1990s
Nov 24, 2003 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
This is Pitchfork's second Top 100 Albums of the 1990s list. The list starts right on the main page at: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com. Only the first half is up right now. It's a much more interesting read, to me at least, than the Rolling Stone article on the Top 500 Albums. This will give you an idea of the great music that's come out in the past decade that you really would be remiss to ignore. Check it out.

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
This is Pitchfork's second Top 100 Albums of the 1990s list. The list starts right on the main page at: http://www.pitchfork.com.

dude, i am tired of cleaning up your links.
tongue.gif

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/

there it is.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
dude, i am tired of cleaning up your links.
tongue.gif

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/

there it is.
rs1smile.gif

Well I'm tired of being on a 56k and waiting 5 freaking minutes for the edit page to load...so there! I had the situation perfectly handled.
tongue.gif

[edit] Oh god...LOL...I'm a retard...of course, it's pitchforkmedia...I thought you meant the "." I had accidently left in the link. Sorry for linking everyone to a livestock page...
redface.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 29
I hate it when they release lists like that! Damn the suspense!

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 29
Kinda funny that they're gonna do this list all over again...you could do it again every few years i think as your tastes change and the state of current music...maybe we should just wait for version 3.0 in 2006 cuz something like this will never be set in stone.

nonetheless always a fun read and yes this is infinitely better than the rolling stone list.

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 29
Yeah and no SDRE. I mean I know there's a emo backlash going on right now among critics but they made at least one album worthy of being in the top 100...sheesh..and no moon pix either. lol. Satisfaction is never guaranteed with these things.

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 29
Emo backlash? 5 bucks says weezer (Blue album) and/or pinkerton is somewhere on that list, there's no apoligy for weezer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 29
removing bands like sunny day real estate and jawbreaker is just a move to make them seem more obscure. after all, torgon forbid pitchfork not be viewed in an elitist esoteric fashion.

i've thought of a few i'd like to see on that list, but we'll see.

[edit]: err, okay, so i might forgive them. i just checked the updated list and either/or is #59.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 29
Pitchfork lists always = "we're cool cause we dig the obscure stuff"

There are so many questionables on that list and so many glaring ommissions it's rather sad.

My main beef is that U2's Achtung Baby is nowhere to be found. Should at least be in the top 25. Zooropa oughta be somewhere on the list as well. I agree with number one though.

Nov 26, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 29
That's cause the obscure stuff is the good stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to see Modest Mouse higher up on the list like it deserves to be. I was most happy to see Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children at #35. That album is totally awesome. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is one of my favorite albums ever as well. I most certainly need to listen to Slanted & Enchanted...Nice to see the Flaming Lips getting props as well
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
Pitchfork lists always = "we're cool cause we dig the obscure stuff"

There are so many questionables on that list and so many glaring ommissions it's rather sad.

My main beef is that U2's Achtung Baby is nowhere to be found. Should at least be in the top 25. Zooropa oughta be somewhere on the list as well. I agree with number one though.

Yes I agree with Adam.........this was discussed first time around on original 100 list. Pitchfork is almost exclusively oriented to alternative/indie music scence often with an elitist "different is better" atitude. So this list is fine for what it is, but almost no mention of:
Hard rock/metal
mainstream pop/rock
industrial/gothic
etc etc

So a selective narrow view focusing on Alt/indie music scence of 1990's, an interesting list but omits much great music from the 1990's in other styles.

Nov 26, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
So this list is fine for what it is, but almost no mention of:
Hard rock/metal
mainstream pop/rock
industrial/gothic
etc etc

funny how they include over a dozen rap releases, but no metal albums. i'm pretty sure there's a reason for this.

now that the list is finished, overall i like it a lot. my to-buy list is now jam packed with releases to pick up and try out. i do feel they missed quite a few good albums that should've been included, but they explained a lot of that in the beginning so oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back