Piracy or used...what's the difference?
Oct 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I'm not trying to justify piracy, this question is simply for discussion. I was looking for music downloads on the internet, specifically lossless. Found a site call allflac. Prices were too low so I searched it here. According to the few threads posted, seems the site is legit as in it's not a scam, but it is most likely a piracy site and that artists are not paid when songs/albums are purchased. For the record, I moved on.

I then came on here to started looking for threads that might point me in a direction on finding decently priced lossless files to download. Of course there a few threads with people asking others where they get their music free or cheap. One popular response is used CD's, which I do buy when I can. I much prefer having a CD in hand that I can rip when/if I need rather than relying on files stored on a computer staying safe. Not to say that something can't happen to a CD, but short of fire or something in my home, it's much less likely.

So, what is the difference if I were to buy files from someplace like I mentioned or buy used CD's? Either way, 0% of the money I just spent on the music goes to the artist that created it.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 4
The artist was paid on the first sale of the CD... the same with Tapes, LP's, DVD's, Magazines etc...
YOU can only resell that CD once, then you no longer have it.

allflac has a really bad Web of Trust rating so beware! http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/allflac.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=warn-viewsc

And the difference with them is that they stole the music to start with and are reselling it over and over...
The physical media can be resold, the digital copy can't without license arrangements...

And then it's who owns the rights to your iTunes library after you die?

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Check out "doctrine of first sale" at wikipedia.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Ok, I'm not trying to justify piracy, this question is simply for discussion. I was looking for music downloads on the internet, specifically lossless. Found a site call allflac. Prices were too low so I searched it here. According to the few threads posted, seems the site is legit as in it's not a scam, but it is most likely a piracy site and that artists are not paid when songs/albums are purchased. For the record, I moved on.

I then came on here to started looking for threads that might point me in a direction on finding decently priced lossless files to download. Of course there a few threads with people asking others where they get their music free or cheap. One popular response is used CD's, which I do buy when I can. I much prefer having a CD in hand that I can rip when/if I need rather than relying on files stored on a computer staying safe. Not to say that something can't happen to a CD, but short of fire or something in my home, it's much less likely.

So, what is the difference if I were to buy files from someplace like I mentioned or buy used CD's? Either way, 0% of the money I just spent on the music goes to the artist that created it.

Old thread, perhaps, but still. I'll point out that by buying used your money might not reach the artist but it will, indirectly, go to the recording industry through the record store itself (assuming your record store also stocks new releases). Brick and mortar record shops are essential to the survival of the music industry, folks. Support them !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back