pioneer xdp-300r or xdp-30r
Nov 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bkboy12

New Head-Fier
Good afternoon, folks. First post here. I’ve recently taken the plunge into the hi-res audio world after purchasing a pair of Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones.

I’ve been listening to Tidal and Deezer via my IPhone X, but would like to purchase a DAP.

I’ve narrowed my choices to the pioneer xdp-300r or the xdp-30r, but really don’t know the differences between the two devices, other than their prices. Would greatly appreciate if someone could hep explain their differences. Thanks in advance.

TL;DR: Other than price, what makes the pioneer xdp-300r different from the xdp-30r?

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 12
I've got the 1AM2 and the 300R. I think it's a wonderful pairing. I've yet to utilize the balanced output on the 300R as it's a 2.5mm and the 1AM2 comes with a 4.4mm out of the box. I have seen adapters that allow you to use a 4.4 headphone in a 2.5 DAP though, I just need to get one. But even out of the standard output from the 300R, the 1AM2 sings.

As for the 30R, I've never even looked into it, but it probably doesn't have the 2.5mm balanced output the 300R has. I literally just purchased the 300R used and got it in the mail yesterday. I'm listening to the two as I type actually. I'd also have to recommend the Activo CT10 to pair with the 1AM2. It's $300 brand new and streams Tidal MQA tracks. It also takes a single SD card up to 400GB I believe. It drives the 16ohm 1AM2 perfectly well and I was quite impressed with it. It only has a standard headphone output though so no balanced. But yeah it's a damn good little player no one ever talks about.

EDIT: also keep in mind this often overlooked little fact, the 300R, while capable of decoding MQA tracks, is not capable of playing them from the only damn app I know where to play them from: Tidal.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Good afternoon, folks. First post here. I’ve recently taken the plunge into the hi-res audio world after purchasing a pair of Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones.

I’ve been listening to Tidal and Deezer via my IPhone X, but would like to purchase a DAP.

I’ve narrowed my choices to the pioneer xdp-300r or the xdp-30r, but really don’t know the differences between the two devices, other than their prices. Would greatly appreciate if someone could hep explain their differences. Thanks in advance.

TL;DR: Other than price, what makes the pioneer xdp-300r different from the xdp-30r?
From what I understand, one of the biggest differences is the ability to download Tidal offline to the 300r since it is android based. The 30r will stream but not download.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 12
CoryGillmore: Thanks so much for your response. Thanks for also pointing out that 300r doesn't stream TIDAL MQA, which is noteworthy as I'm going to be using the DAP for streaming 90 percent of the time. I'll have to look into the Activo CT10. Have you been able to test its sound against the 300r? I'll read some reviews on it.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 12
No problem. There is no perfect player my bother. See the CT10, while it streams MQA tracks from Tidal, you can’t download any tracks for offline use. With the 300R, you can’t stream MQA tracks but you can download non MQA to use offline. I’ve yet to see a player that allows both.

I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of Tidal updating their Android app to allow MQA streaming, but it’s been a long time and no word about it.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 12
CoryGillmore: "There is no perfect player my bother" -- I'm finding these words to be so true, lol. This is a new world to me, and there are so many options. I'll make a decision soon and will let you all know which one I select. Wish this hobby wasn't so expensive! Thanks for all of your input.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Haha yep I had to learn those words the hard way these last couple weeks. I think you’ll be happy with the 300R to be honest. But realize it’s battery is another one of its shortcomings.

I’ve been listening to the headphones you own with this player all day though and it really does sound great. Hope you like heavy impactful BASS! I know I do. I’m going to get an adapter to be able to use the balanced out and I think you should too eventually.

Also you need to know that these players have been plagued with headphone jacks that snap off inside the unit.

Let me ask you, how much are you looking to spend on this player or any pkayer

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Haha yep I had to learn those words the hard way these last couple weeks. I think you’ll be happy with the 300R to be honest. But realize it’s battery is another one of its shortcomings.

I’ve been listening to the headphones you own with this player all day though and it really does sound great. Hope you like heavy impactful BASS! I know I do. I’m going to get an adapter to be able to use the balanced out and I think you should too eventually.

Also you need to know that these players have been plagued with headphone jacks that snap off inside the unit.

Let me ask you, how much are you looking to spend on this player or any pkayer

I just sent you a PM, lol.

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi! Did you buy the 30r or the 300r?

I had the 300r and honestly is a very good device, It have a nice android inplementation, very fast. Regarding the sound you have to use the balanced output to hear the real potential of the 300r, IMO the sound is a little bit analitic, the mids are very present and detailed I liked too much.

I have right now the 30r and the UI is terrible but the sound I have to say that is a little bit better than the 300r I dont know if its because the two presition clocks that the 30r have. Now Im looking to change the firmware because mine is from Japan and they dont have Tidal in the Online services.

Regards!!

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 12
I have the 30 an love the sound even over my Hiby R6 2020. BUT, the wi fi is basically useless! Would the 300 or even the 100 have improved sound and reliable wi fi?

thx

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back