Pioneer XDP 100R after updates?
Aug 15, 2016 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LONZO

New Head-Fier
I just got my Pioneer XDP 100R last week and I've completed all of the system updates that were available. I did a lot of review searching prior to purchasing the Pioneer DAP and found most of the information was pretty old and before updates, such as removal of the volume limiter, etc. I'm curious to know what you guys/gals think of the unit now that you've had some time to tweak it to your liking. Can you share what you've discovered to get the best sound out of your unit that may save the rest of us some time and searching? Was there any product performance improvement with Burn-in. Which headphones do you find sound the best with your Pioneer XDP 100R?

I'm still breaking my DAP in. I've loaded PowerAmp, TIDAL, Pandora, VLC (for Videos) and that's it! I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and that's loaded with my junk apps. I want the Pioneer pristine for just audio listening and I'm trying to fine tune it to the best of it's abilities. I've found the native Pioneer music app to be useful but not very intuitive. Playlist creation is tedious but less so after practice. It's not fun to look at or use. (Pioneer please put some work into this and upgrade) PowerAmp, which I learned about through Head-Fi research is amazing, offering great flexibility and usability with the Pioneer XDP 100R, but I was shocked when it refused to play my Hi-Res Aretha Franklin's 30 greatest hits in the 196khz, 24bit format .wav file. HUH!!!!??? I'm hoping that Beta version for expanded Hi Res fixes this, but other than that it works great with the DAP; better in fact than the native music app. The volume control it provides is much tighter than Pioneer's which you have to crank up to about "120" to start getting in the decent listening range.  What worries me about this is that my Shure IEM (SE530's) are so sensitive and being "In Ear Monitor" will blow my frigging eardrums out if I switch applications and not pay attention in advance to the volume level.  Speaking of volume levels - the on screen touch volume is smooth and precise while the wheel does a weird in and out attenuation thing while scrolling (can't explain it technically, but it's almost like it's resisting being turned up).

My experience so far has been between good and excellent (Still deciding!) Hardware is nice, but the volume knob is in a weird place and is best locked out with screen to avoid annoying changes (Rating = good). Native apps and  interface is functional though not fully intuitive, but add the full open android and apps selection to fully customize your experience (Rating = excellent)  The sound potential is definitely there screaming to get out but the mad scientist in you will have to find the right combination to tweak it to your ears; massive flexibility though (Rating= Excellent)  From a headphone perspective I've driven Shure SE530,Westone 3, Oppo PM3, Bose QC15, and 64 Ohm Senheisser HD280 Pros all equally well and without any notable distortions besides the specific character of the earphone/headphone (Rating = Excellent) The quirks in my opinion are few: not a lot of cases to protect your investment, volume knob is placed poorly and has weird attenuation characteristic, VOLUME CONTROL must be fixed - this is dangerous, (open this thing wide up, so it can be standardized across application layer vs. variable amongst each app)

Overall, the Pioneer XDP 100R is a beautiful and worthwhile player. At 600.00 is it 3 times better than my FIIO X3 (2nd Gen), no, but the sound is noticeably better and worth the money. I don't think I've tweaked the unit to it's peak performance yet but with a bit of burn-in, a few firmware updates, and the right application/s I know this thing will scream!

P.S. My music file formats range from tons of DSD, FLAC, WAV, and now my least favorite MP3's but they all sound 10x better on this than on my amped S7 Galaxy, Iphone 6, or iPad - as should be expected.

Didn't plan to write a full essay here, but I wanted to start another "RECENT" thread on this device which I think has a lot of potential if we can share our tweaking experiences to squeeze every drop out of this beast.  What have you guys done with yours and what do you think about the unit?

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 15
I've found the native Pioneer music app to be useful but not very intuitive. Playlist creation is tedious but less so after practice. It's not fun to look at or use. (Pioneer please put some work into this and upgrade) PowerAmp, which I learned about through Head-Fi research is amazing, offering great flexibility and usability with the Pioneer XDP 100R, but I was shocked when it refused to play my Hi-Res Aretha Franklin's 30 greatest hits in the 196khz, 24bit format .wav file. HUH!!!!??? I'm hoping that Beta version for expanded Hi Res fixes this, but other than that it works great with the DAP; better in fact than the native music app.

Poweramp alpha build 703 plays hi-res FLAC and DSD (.dsf files) and is - AFAIK - the only 3rd party music app that has access to the Pioneer's ESS DAC as long as device is rooted.

This guide works for the XDP-100R, too.

If you you prefer to play it safe, and don't want to root your device, just stick with Pioneer stock app until a new Poweramp 3 build that supports the XDP-100R "out of the box" is released.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 15
I have had the XDP-100R for a a few months now and still love it.

I too don't get on well with the stock player and initially started using the GoneMad player but am now happily running an alpha of the next Poweramp and love it.  The ability to manually update album art and scrobble to last.fm were must have's for me even if the sound quality is not optimal for now.

Saying that, I'm actually mainly using my Bose QC35 headphones in wireless mode these days so I'm guessing the ESS DAC access issue is moot?  

One thing I'd love to be able to do is change the background wallpaper on the home screen!  I have an image file on the device that I want to use but can't find a away to get it selectable from the long press context menu 'Choose wallpaper from' ... I only see the stock art images.  Is there a specific folder I need to pout the image file?

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the feedback and reco's 13-7 . I will read over the guide and assess the "rooting" risks. I would be pissed if I bricked this joy after only 1 week of use. I have to imagine when the word gets out and the Pioneer XDP 100R becomes more popular amongst listeners that our good folks at PowerAmp will do some due diligence to add it to the list. Peace. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm glad you're digging the unit! I have been so busy getting the right apps and tweaking my sound that I haven't gotten to the background customization piece yet. I'm mainly using my Oppo PM-3's paired with the Pioneer because they are so extremely versatile and great to use as a reference headphone. I haven't even turned on my Bluetooth radio yet, though I guess I should check it to ensure it works. When I do, I have a pair of Zik Parrot 2 BT headphones that I will test with it (Although for some reason the Parrot Suite says not compatible with the Pioneer XDP 100R!) I also have a pair of Sony XBR950 BT headphones that I'm curious to test with it as well. How does the Bose QC's sound with the Pioneer, and have you tried it wired as well? With outstanding DSP being built into many bluetooth headphones nowadays the gap is narrowing on wired and wireless sound. Not there yet, but getting there!  Thanks for your feedback!
Lonzo

May 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 15
I keep switching between Trinity Hyperions and Trinity Vyrus V2, both have different screw on filters to adjust to the sound signature you prefer, having fun fun testing them all, just a suggestion.

May 13, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Which are the IEMs best work with Pioneer XDP 100 R ? Is there a considerable impedance range for IEM to best work with it ?

I do have several (not flagships) and like em all. As for now, I really like how it sounds pair with westone 30. I've bought a couple of chinese IEMs and use the xdp as my reference

May 24, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 15
I keep switching between Trinity Hyperions and Trinity Vyrus V2, both have different screw on filters to adjust to the sound signature you prefer, having fun fun testing them all, just a suggestion.
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm trying to order a pair of Trinity Audio Lucars III , i think they are triple driver . 2DD+1 BA.

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Hey Guys,

Sorry to revive an old post but my dad just got one of these devices from Ebay and he's been googling like crazy trying to get dolby atmos working with it.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back