Pioneer SE-DIR800C Dolby Headphones
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HoichiTheEarless

New Head-Fier
I mentioned this set in the thread I started about headphones for home theater use. It is well reviewed and gets high marks for its ability to produce surround sound over headphones. A head-fi reviewer even says he prefers these headphones to his 6.1 speaker based surround system (http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=59025) Yet, there is a lot of skepticism about surround headphones. In another recent thread about surround headphones the consensus was that effective surround headphones was a fantasy. The Pioneer set seems to be an exception if you believe the reviews. Yet they are expensive and for that much money I don't want to be dissapointed even a little if I buy them. So I'm looking for feedback on these units specifically if anyone has tried them. Are they as good as the reviews indicate? If I buy them I'd make sure I buy them from a place that has a good return policy, but it never hurts to get as much information as possible.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Just bumping hoping for a response. Has no one used these? Another model that has come up is the Philips SBC-HD1500, though I can't seem to find as many reviews of these, and I've only seen them on sale on ebay.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, I finally went ahead and got these not long after posting. I must say, they are fantastic! Don't believe anyone who tells you surround sound can't be produced through headphones. If you're one of those people, don't comment until you've watched and listened to the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan through these headphones. Amazing! They are expensive, but they absolutely solved every movie viewing problem I had. In a perfect world, I would have a house where I could build a sound proof theater room with thousands of dollars worth of the best audio and video equipment poured into it. But until that day these headphones will be indispensible to me. In that context, the price is quite reasonable.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 5
It uses Dolby Headphone. I haven't heard DH through a high end set of headphones other than these, so I can't say if this is any better. But since I already own a HT reciever that doesn't have DH processing, it made sense to get this which packaged a DD/DTS/DH processor with a high end pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back