Pioneer SE-DIR800C as a DAC/AMP, is it good?
Jun 27, 2009 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Happyprozak

Head-Fier
The Pioneer SE-DIR800C is a wireless headphone set, but it has the option to plug in a pair of wired headphones into a 1/8" jack. Those of you who own it and have used this, how good does this work as a DAC/AMP? I would be connecting a Macbook Pro to it through an optical cable. Also, have you plugged in any low impedance headphones and noted any white noise in the background?

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 5
I have never tried it in the way you're suggesting but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I currently use mine with my DVD player and cable box via optical. I've tried it with both Senns and Grados and never noticed any background noise.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey thanks for the reply. Is the Senn and Grado's you tried low impedance? I've noticed that often times hiss is only apparent in low impedance headphones.

Also, how good of a amp/dac would you consider this to be? Is there anything you could compare it's quality to?

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I've only spent a little time using it with the RS1's. I now use the unit only for movies and exclusively with the Senn 595's which I believe have an impedance of 50 and I have never heard any hiss (and last night I had the volume up fairly loud while watching 2001: A Space Odyssey).

As an amp it's pretty good but I also did try it with my Senn 580's, and while not bad, it could have used a little more oomph. I know some head-fiers have plugged portable amps into the headphone out on the unit and used it that way, but I've never tried it.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've only spent a little time using it with the RS1's. I now use the unit only for movies and exclusively with the Senn 595's which I believe have an impedance of 50 and I have never heard any hiss (and last night I had the volume up fairly loud while watching 2001: A Space Odyssey).

As an amp it's pretty good but I also did try it with my Senn 580's, and while not bad, it could have used a little more oomph. I know some head-fiers have plugged portable amps into the headphone out on the unit and used it that way, but I've never tried it.

I'd like to pick your brain one more time
ksc75smile.gif

Basically, have you tried it as a DAC by plugging in through optical and playing a music cd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back