Pioneer SE-700 on eBay
Jun 2, 2005 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wualta

Orthodynamic Supremus
For those vintage collector types wanting to own a unique headphone from the '70s that was truly a pioneering effort-- no pun intended-- how about some 'phones that aren't electrostatic or dynamic or magnetic? These used Kynar (polyvinylidene fluoride plastic film), which is piezoelectric, for their diaphragms. No magnets, no external electrostatic fields. Also very stylish-- roller disco chicks love 'em. They haven't got much bass (and never will, due to the stretchiness of the PVDF film), but it's amazing that they even work, even more amazing that they work well. They're very smooth but rolled off at both ends.

I have no monetary interest in the auction. .

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 10
How would these compare to say the akg k340?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 10
I owned a pair of these for several years in the 70s and thoroughly enjoyed them. The description of them as being smooth but rolled off sounds about right; I can't really remember. I do remember that they were one of the more satisfying phones I've owned, though how they'd compare to my current 595s I can't imagine. I'd love to hear a pair again, but I'm not paying current Ebay prices. I'm not really sure why anybody would.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312
...how they'd compare to my current 595s I can't imagine. I'd love to hear a pair again, but I'm not paying current Ebay prices. I'm not really sure why anybody would.

I think we can safely say they're more a collector's item or a techno-nostalgia item than a completely satisfying headphone compared to any of the big Sennheisers. As for "current eBay prices", I paid about $25 for my SE-500s a few months ago.

They are beautifully made and mostly metal, which makes them both nice to look at and heavy. Representatives of a bygone era.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 10
it looks like the "MS-2" version of a Stax Omega II lol. But someone already committed to $50 shipped for them? Bah, I bet a SR60 would sound better...

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bah, I bet a SR60 would sound better...

No doubt, it would.

Smoother? maybe not. Better overall? certainly.

Don't buy these if you don't already own a Grado, a Sennheiser, a Stax and a Fostex T30. And a K501 on the way.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Deleted

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aasat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have question for SE-700 owner's.

What is the driver housing diameter?

The diameter for the housing is about 4".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back