Pioneer SE-20A
Feb 21, 2002 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Osaire

Head-Fier
I was browsing ebay and noticed some guy has these Pioneer SE-20A's for sale. Now, when I was probably 10 years old I bought a pair that look *EXACTLY* like these for $5 at a garage sale.

These things are humongous and weigh as much as they look like they do! They make your ears sweat like mad and probably induce fever just from wearing them for half a CD.

I don't know much about headphones, I remember I enjoyed listening to these way back when, so my question is:

Does anybody know anything about them?
smily_headphones1.gif

TIA

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...8717_se20a.JPG

Edit: I still have them somewhere in my basement.
wink.gif

Edit: I figured if I made the topic Sennheiser, people would actually reply.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 20
WOW!
eek.gif
they look like twin cereal bowls linked together. They have a certain "Ye Olden Days of Headphones" charm to them, but I wouldn't pay anything more than $20 for em. They look vastly uncomfortable, would probably damage your cervical discs over time, and I have a hunch that the sound quality will not exactly overwhelm you. Just a hunch though; I haven't heard em. I doubt few people living have heard them!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 20
I actually own a set of those and the sound in them are not bad, And they are not as uncomfortable as they loock =) The best i owned so far! sorry for my english im from sweden

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 20
probably why Pioneer stays away from headphones and sticks to TV's and receivers

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 20
A roommate of mine stumbled across a pair of these a few years ago. They were 8 ohm and my Gilmore Lite+PSU drove them pretty well! But man, they sounded like absolute mud compared to current models.

My mom's Christmas gift to me last year was a tshirt with a picture of me listening to Air Supply on a pair of these when I was 5 years old.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 20
Ok so i dont know anything about headphones and such but i'm not sure if they're working correctly. Perhaps someone here can explain. The vocals and some highs(depends on the song sometimes its the lows) sounded odd and when i say odd i mean they sounded far off in the distance compared to all the other sounds.

i tried fiddling with the equalizer but it didnt help so i was ready to give up until i randomly played with the balance. With my other headphones if i switched the balance all the way to the right or left, the sound would only come out of either ear respectively. However with these Pioneers, they'd still come out of both ears but the problem with the distant vocals was solved. Somehow changing the balance brought out the vocals.

I am really confused as to what is going on. Anyone care to shed some insight?

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 20
they have a bad wiring job. check to see if the plug was replaced- i'll bet it was. the wires werent attached to the right spots

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 20
happens to lots of peeps. i have bought several headphones for much less than they are worth because of bad wire jobs
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 20
very easy. if the plug was replaced, the sleeve on the plug unscrews. see the three wires? they are mixed up. disconnect them. lug the jack into something and let it play while u wear the headphones and figure out which goes where. old pioneers use red, white, and black. the black is ground. you need to play from something where u can control the balance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back