Pioneer PL-50 Turntable
Feb 28, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #61 of 67
I will try to clean the platter tomorrow thx for the suggestion.
I already cleaned all the black gunk on the capstan and it did't do anything. It still plays a perfect half step higher than it should???

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #62 of 67
Another remote possibility.  I have read somewhere that if the caps need replacing, that can mess with the speed.  I've not done it.

I will say that the speed issue is one reason I dont like tables with no speed adjustment.  I mean the chances that something will run perfectly unadjusted just seems like a pipe dream to me.  

I think my pl50 also runs a little fast.  but not enough to bother me, and I'm a musician.  your sounds like a bigger problem.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #63 of 67
Hello Keithpgdrb, I am picking up a PL-50 tommorrow. I have read this model is notorious for having too fast speed problems. Did you get yours fixed? I also need to buy a belt for this tt, when i get it tommorrow. I have noticed that almost every store that sells belts for turntables have different dimensions for their belt. And I can't find the original dimensions for the PL-50. Does anyone know of a reliable place to buy Turntable belts for vintage tables!

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #64 of 67
Try Turntablebasics.com . If the measuremnts are off and the thing is too tight it will result in the speed being too fast but also worse it will wear your bearing unevenly. Turntable basics don't always have the perfect measurements, who does? as you are often talking about kit that hasn't been made in 40 years and they are sourcing spares from wherever they can, but they will send you a couple of belts at or near the size and you can find the best one. So it's always best to measure your belt path before ordering. They will tell you how to do this on their site and many others on the web.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:
Hello Keithpgdrb, I am picking up a PL-50 tommorrow. I have read this model is notorious for having too fast speed problems. Did you get yours fixed? I also need to buy a belt for this tt, when i get it tommorrow. I have noticed that almost every store that sells belts for turntables have different dimensions for their belt. And I can't find the original dimensions for the PL-50. Does anyone know of a reliable place to buy Turntable belts for vintage tables!

Hey man, congrats.  its a nice table.  it does have speed issues.  I'm sure you read this thread.  and I found no reason for the speed problem.  I never did change the ONE cap under the table, because everyone pretty much said that it was pointless.  I still wonder, and may attempt it later when I feel like it.  My final guess was that there might be some wear somewhere in the machinery, throwing the speed off.  by that rational, the speed may continue to get worse as its gets older.  But, it that takes another 40 years, I'm ok with that.

In the end, I did indeed use electrical tape to build up the platter.  worked like a charm.

as far as belts, there are lots of good sources recommeded on the site.  if given a choice, I would choose a wider thiner belt.

best of luck.  use a strobe lp to set your speed.

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #67 of 67
ok, snapped some pics. I can take more if that would be helpful. the side view of the tonearm is how it sits when I release it from the holder. it just goes up like the back is too heavy. I have tried pushing the weight up the arm, but it doesnt do anything. still too heavy.

the shot of the tone arm settings is where they are at right now, up in the air.

the cart is a pioneer pc-35. looks like there are some stylus' that will fit and are pretty cheap. I dont know if the cart is good yet. cross that bridge later.

I did not notice any "play" in the tonearm. its seems solid. also, the distortion you see at the middle of the tonearm is not a dent. it is silver tape. I guess they put it there to avoid scratching the arm?...

OK, what now? I know I'm asking a lot here, any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Just picked this model up but from a record store my Harmon Kardon TC55 needs damping fluid anyway it came with an basic Audio Technica cartridge which I replaced with a Goldring 1012GX I paid a nice piece of change and figured I'd use it. I like this table alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back