Pioneer PD-4700
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fuild

New Head-Fier
Anybody know anything about this player? I found it while poking around some old stuff in the house. I googled it but there isn't much information available, probably because it's pretty old. My guess is that it was bought in the early 90s.

Thanks in advance : )

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 3
The PD-4700 was built in 1991 and features the then-popular 1-bit DAC of the era. People must still like the sound, because one of Pioneer's players has remained relatively unchanged since the mid-'90s (PD-M426). Almost all of their non-Elite CD players until the late '90s used their 1-bit DLC or PulseStream solutions.

I have a PD-M423 from 1994, which is basically the same as the PD-M426. The sound is warm due to extreme high and low frequency roll-offs, but it has a non-fatiguing musical sound. Not accurate at all, but still a nice alternative, especially on recordings that were very poorly mastered.

Your player is a single disc model, which is desirable in an older player because there are less moving parts to fail. I've never had a piece of Pioneer equipment fail anyway, so it should keep on playing for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back