Pioneer M-10X vs. Pioneer A-35R
Jun 10, 2008 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
Excuse me if this is a no brainer, but I'm new to amps and speakers (i've had a fair share of headphone rotation thanks to this forum though
tongue.gif
) and I'm wondering about the differences between these two amps. I am going to get my first pair of 'real' speakers soon (PSB Image B25) and I need an amp to go with it. I was told that the Pioneer A-35R is a really solid amp and it should serve my purposes very well. However, I have come across a (slightly used.. user gave it a 9/10 for condition on Audiogon) Pioneer M-10X which I could potentially get for $175~ shipped, which is already less than a new A-35R without shipping.

I know the MSRP of the M-10X is much more than that of the A-35R, but it's not somehow a step backwards from the A-35R in terms of quality, is it? the M-10X seems to have far fewer features/inputs/buttons/knobs/doohickeys, but then why is it so much more expensive?

If it is indeed an upgrade, I have no other worries and should buy this M-10X immediately.

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi,

The A-35R is an integrated pre-amp/amp. The M-10X is strictly an amp. So if you have a receiver already the M-10X is the way to go, but if you need the ability to process the signal from a source such as CD/Record/etc, then the A-35R is the way to go.

Note the A-35R is stereo only. It only has inputs for a left and right analog input. If you are looking for surround sound down the road, you will need to look at surround receivers.

Hope this helps.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taifun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

The A-35R is an integrated pre-amp/amp. The M-10X is strictly an amp. So if you have a receiver already the M-10X is the way to go, but if you need the ability to process the signal from a source such as CD/Record/etc, then the A-35R is the way to go.

Note the A-35R is stereo only. It only has inputs for a left and right analog input. If you are looking for surround sound down the road, you will need to look at surround receivers.

Hope this helps.

Ahh, that indeed does help a lot. I may be looking for surround sound down the road, but very far down the road. I think this set up will serve my purposes for 4 years or more.

I do have an extra, unused receiver laying around, but I don't think it's all that "good" of one. My dad got two of them a few years ago for some cheap price. They are Pioneer VSX-D503S receivers, and that's all i can tell you about them without digging the box out of the garage. I can't find anything whatsoever about them on google which is just the strangest thing.

I'll actually go ahead and try to find some manuals or the box in the garage so I can maybe give some more details on its specs. But anyway, if I were to get the M-10X, would any receiver be OK (like the extra one i have) or would a 'good' one be necessary?

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 9
You can use the VSX-503 with the M-10X so long as it has analog outputs for the left and right channels. I believe it does. I like the simplicity of one unit myself. I also think the A-35R is going to sound better (my 2 cents worth) I had the VSX-510 and while it was a good receiver overall it cannot compare with the Elite gear in terms of sound, quality and power.

The A-35R is also a bit cheaper. $175 or so compared to $350 or so for the M-10X.

That said, you can use either as more power in a surround setup down the road. Most surround receivers have plenty of power provided you don't have seriously power hungry speakers.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by taifun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use the VSX-503 with the M-10X so long as it has analog outputs for the left and right channels. I believe it does. I like the simplicity of one unit myself. I also think the A-35R is going to sound better (my 2 cents worth) I had the VSX-510 and while it was a good receiver overall it cannot compare with the Elite gear in terms of sound, quality and power.

The A-35R is also a bit cheaper. $175 or so compared to $350 or so for the M-10X.

That said, you can use either as more power in a surround setup down the road. Most surround receivers have plenty of power provided you don't have seriously power hungry speakers.

Yeah, I like the fact that the A-35R prevents me from having to use two units. However, at an output of 45 watts per channel, I'm wondering if it will have enough in it to power the speakers. Please take a look at this link, scroll down a little bit and look at the specs for the Image B25 Monitors.

Image Maple Sale

The M-10X puts out 100 watts per channel, and I might be able to get one for about $175 shipped, which would be the same cost of the A-35R. If the A-35R would suffice in powering those speakers, I'll just get that because it makes it more simple.

here's the A-35R's specs just for reference:

Pioneer USA - Elite Amplifiers

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 9
I think you'll find the A-35R has plenty of power for the Image speakers. Both are 4 Ohm stable so either will do. The Image towers are fairly easy to drive: Sensitivity 91~93dB. Unless you are filling a huge room or want to damage your hearing, I think you'll be ok with 45w. I am driving 2 Polk RTi8 towers with mine and they are fairly power hungry. I have driven the RTi10s which are even more so on the A-35R and was able to get plenty of sound in a fairly decent sized space.

I think you'll be happy either way. Good choice on the speakers btw. I listened to those in a surround setup and really liked them.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm glad you like them. They were a suggestion from someone else here on head-fi, of course, and I pretty much trust all of you. It's good to get a confirmation on their quality though.

It sounds like the A-35R will be the way to go, then. It sounds like it will be able to power the B25's just fine and it'll be a much more convenient setup only having to deal with one box. Thanks so much for your help, taifun. I'd be struggling to make decisions like these without the help of all of you knowledgeable people and I'd probably end up making the wrong choices, so I appreciate it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back