Pioneer HT receiver... blown channel?
Feb 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

infinitesymphony

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi home theater receiver new in August '07 and was enjoying it until last week. I'd been using its bi-amplification feature to passively bi-amp my speakers--it doubles the front channel outputs through the rear-surround outputs.

A few days ago, I turned on the receiver and noticed that the left speaker's tweeter wasn't playing. After some re-wiring and testing, I determined that the left rear-surround output was not playing; it was only outputting a faint hiss. I also got a pop out of the speaker that was connected to the left rear-surround output when I turned the receiver on and off.

Have I fried/blown a channel? What steps should I take to determine the cause?

I opened up the VSX-56TXi today and took some pictures. It's a beast! It's fairly clear to me that I won't be able to troubleshoot it myself, but perhaps I can narrow down the problem to make the fix easier for a technician later.

Overall View
56txi_1.jpg

Power section, main capacitors, speaker outputs at top
56txi_2.jpg

Closer view of speaker outputs, faulty channel is left-most output
56txi_3.jpg

I saw a lot of capacitors from Chemi-Con, but a lot of blue Elnas used elsewhere. Feel free to comment on what you see... I also have other pictures if it would help to see the rest of the receiver.

(This thread is a cross-post of the original thread on the diyAudio forums.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back