PIONEER HP Development-your input welcome
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Musiqlovr

Member of the Trade: Klipsch
What's up Head-Fi?

I'm back!

I am in Japan as I type this and have just begun to share my ideas with the team in Japan for the HP strategy I have been working on since I joined Pioneer/Onkyo in Dec. In an effort to include much of your input as early as possible, I'm an starting to engage with you early into the process (that means material updates may be a bit slow to arrive, but I promise to keep updating).

So...lets start a discussion. What do you want to see in a mid-premium Pioneer HP offering. Technologies, features, accessories, materials, etc etc...my current thinking is to build something that pushes the limits for what can be done around $200-300, $400-500 and maybe $700 as well as something really special that we can hopefully build in JAPAN!

For this project I have some ideas on material composition (specifically materials known to Japan and that I have never seen used on an audio product before), but I haven't fully completed the mood board yet. My hope is that we can have some fun discussions and we can share the development process with you from start to finish.

All the Best,

Steve

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 16
The Monitor5 and Master1 are both really good -especially with build quality and comfort. The Monitor5 had a fairly even sound, very transparent and the Master1 takes a different approach as the bass is emphasized more than most open headphones (but that’s what I really liked about it) and the treble could be a little harsh or sharp. Huge soundstage. They are both made in Japan and just looked and felt fantastic.

A headphone that is similarly constructed and straddles the line between the incisiveness of the Monitor5 and the boldness of the Master1 would be awesome.

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Just design something with an even frequency response. That is all.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 16
my current thinking is to build something that pushes the limits for what can be done around $200-300, $400-500 and maybe $700 as well

Tough market these days. I't would have to be better than hd6xx and he400i for $200. For $350 it would have to be better than he560.

For $70 one can buy chinese weird brand headphones that are made of wood and metal that soundwise outperform $150 headphones from major headphone manufacturers.

Do something completely different! Maybe explore possibilities of piezo electric headphones? Or a orthodynamic+electret hybrid? So far we've seen quite a few traditional dynamics+electret hybrids. Makes no sense to me. Surely an electret driver can improve highs and soundstage presentation of traditional dynamic headphones. Why not do it with planars? Planars would do bass better than normal dynamic drivers, but could need help on highs and especially with soundstage that can achieved with adding a electret driver. Maybe I'm missing something but it boggles me why nobody has done it. That would really Be The best of both worlds (best of both ends of frequency range.)

PS. Your profile still says you work for klipsch :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 16
42188A8A-8221-4468-B5D7-8562E40F592A.jpeg

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 16
So...lets start a discussion. What do you want to see in a mid-premium Pioneer HP offering. Technologies, features, accessories, materials, etc etc...my current thinking is to build something that pushes the limits for what can be done around $200-300, $400-500 and maybe $700 as well as something really special that we can hopefully build in JAPAN!

For this project I have some ideas on material composition (specifically materials known to Japan and that I have never seen used on an audio product before), but I haven't fully completed the mood board yet. My hope is that we can have some fun discussions and we can share the development process with you from start to finish.

1. (Maybe) Graphene drivers

2. Impedance - 32ohms to 64ohms

3. Sensitivity - at least 97dB/1mW

4. Angled driver mounts (see driver mounts on T1, T5P, HD800, HD700, etc)

5. Longer term Pioneer parts support, especially earpads; alternately, design earcups so that it will be easy to mount more readily available earpads, like those made for/by Beyerdynamic

6. Freq response that kind of looks like this
response_01.jpg

7. Open back

8. Removable cables

Others:
9. Large earcups with swappable metal grill and closed back metal cover lined with sound absorbing material. Design primarily for open operation, but allows for use as sealed headphone easily and with proper panels and mount mechanism that at the very least won't rattle when mounted.

10. Metal frame that allows for folding flat (ex Grado, Sony MDR-1x series)

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Something quality below 800 dollars will always be appreciated.

Removable cables with balanced option and either high quality or easily replaceable ear pads would be nice.

Maybe an open and a closed version as well.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 16
Hey Musiqlovr! Glad to have you back!

Here's an idea.

Take the same excellent driver and build quality of the SE-Monitor5, and make a more compact, cool-looking, 'not-embarrassing-to-wear-out-in-public' form factor version, and I think they would do very well.

Something similar to the new $800 Campfire Audio Cascade, ( https://campfireaudio.com/shop/cascade/ ) but with some excellent 'Made In Japan' build quality and design aesthetic.

Just a thought. :nerd:

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Honestly? I don’t care about exotic materials and pixie-dusted drivers. I’ve heard my fair share of headphones that have been constructed with the utmost care and look like a Ferrari for your head....yet often they forget about the most important part: the sound!
My advice is to spend 90% of the time/resources on tuning...the rest on materials and looks. The Aurorus Borealis recently proved that you certainly don’t need unobtanium drivers in order to get brilliant sound quality...in fact you can get there with rather cheap ones...it just depends on the time you use on the implementation.
A somewhat neutral frequency response would also be nice...plus it’s a fairly small market to break into: HD600/650, R70x and the S4X....that’s basically what we have to choose from if we want something that renders music faithfully to the recording...or of course implementing some clever EQ.
Going the v-shaped route and you’re bound to end up trading blows with your former comrades over at Klipsch:p

Edith: Hah! Didn’t realise this thread was two years old. Nevermind then...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back