Pioneer HDJ-2000 vs Skullcandy Mix Master
Jan 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TJKuhn

New Head-Fier
I'm choosing between these two headphones to use for portable use (style did play a part in the choices). I have seen many good reviews on both headphones when it comes to sound quality, and now I just need to compare the two. I would really like to know which has better bass in terms of quality and quantity, that's a big factor for me because its for on the go fun listening. I usually listen to hip hop, a little dubstep recently, and rock. So if anyone has listened to both of these and can help it would be appreciated, thank you :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 14
I've only auditioned the Mix Master briefly, but from memory it wasn't quite as bassy as the HDJ-2000 but perhaps flatter since the Pioneer has more of a hump in the midbass. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Have you considered build quality?

I couldn't quite determine the sound quality of the Mix Masters from a noisy environment at which I auditioned them,
but they felt quite flimsy and squeaky in my hands.
Pioneers are leaps and bounds better in build quality than the Mix Masters.
Lastly, market prices for Pioneer HDJ-2000's are about $215,
as opposed to Skullcandy, which are about $299.

I would easily choose the Pioneer over Skullcandy.

-KoreWest

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the responses guys and yes I have considered build quality, I did read some reviews on the skullcandys about the headband cracking so that kinda scares me away from them. But they do have a lifetime warranty which is great, just wouldn't want to have to use it alot. I think I'll go with the pioneers, I like the new white style they have. Only bad thing about them is the fact that they don't come with a straight cable. Do you know if there are any that you can buy separate, its not a big problem if there isn't.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Okay thanks and I have one more question, I have the Sennheiser HD 518's and these are gonna be my upgrade from them to be used on the go cause I feel the 518's are too bulky and the cord is too long. Do the Pioneers have better sound especially when it comes to bass? Just curious.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Okay thanks and I have one more question, I have the Sennheiser HD 518's and these are gonna be my upgrade from them to be used on the go cause I feel the 518's are too bulky and the cord is too long. Do the Pioneers have better sound especially when it comes to bass? Just curious.

As DJ headphones, the pioneers will have more bass, can't comment on the sound quality though, having never listened to the HDJ2000 or the 518.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 14
From my experience, the Pioneer HDJ 2000 has average bass.
It has the thump and the punch, but not quite clean.
However, it has very pleasing mids in exchange.
Cannot comment on the 518 as I have not heard them.

If you are looking for portability, bass, and style, however, 
I would like to recommend the following cans as well:
AKG K167
Vmoda M80
HDJ 500 (2000's younger brother. Presumably more refined bass than 2000)

and check out HDJ 2000's bass mod somewhere on this forum

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
and check out HDJ 2000's bass mod somewhere on this forum

That would have been mine...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570868/pioneer-hdj-2000-bass-boost-extension-mod

Actually after changing things around a few times, it's not so much a boost as it flattens out the hump and improves extension.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 14
I have both. the skullcandy has more bass and is more easily driven from a portable source. the pioneer is actually rather balanced for a dj headphone, sounds great to a headfier, but might be a little bass shy to a basshead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back