Pioneer HDJ-1000's Vs AKG K181 DJ
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HenryL

New Head-Fier
Well, monday is when i planned to go and get my AKG K518 LE headphones but I'm about to get the chance to get a pair of HDJ 1000's or AKG K181 DJ's using gift cards by redeeming points at a loyalty program. The headphones look pretty nice and futuristic.

Are they comfortable to wear? To be honest, I'm buying these because they look nice. Do they sound nice also?

But the thing that's holding me back is that I am not a DJ at all, and only want to listen to music. Do they have good isolation? Someone told me headphones like these need a portable amp or something to perform well.

I'm gonna use these headphones for listening to music on my computer and going to school/coming back to school. I take the train which is noisy so i need something with decent isolation. At least better than my current sony MDR-V150s

So are the HDJ's decent for every day listening?

How would these compare to say, AKG K181 DJ headphones in terms of comfort and audio quality?

Or would it just be better to forget all of these and get the K 518 LE's and use the gift cards for clothes or video games.. Or perhaps a new iPod.

Thanks
Henry

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 4
the K181, I think, is just a higher ohm version of the K518.

the K518s have soft pads after a few days of break in but that clamping pressure is uncomparable. but you get used to it.

he pioneers are huge and are circum-aural. not sure about the SQ or the sound sig though

edit:

and the isolation of the K518 (with regular volume music playing) is great. I cant even hear the person even if he/she is shouting in my ears
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 4
The K181 is very different from the K81/K518. They are far larger (the cups have at least 2x the area of K81 cups) and the sound is a bit more refined. The K181 is just a bit more comfortable & better isolating, at the expense of a good chunk of portability. The K181 also has a single-sided detachable cable, a mono/stereo switch, and a bass boost feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back