Pioneer HDJ-1000 Custom Housing
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

7H3L457H0P3

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of HDJ-1000 Headphones last summer (pic below for ref), which were epic for trance, but the build quality was less than amazing. The new Pioneer HDJ-2000's are a more than worthy successor, but I'm not giving up on my old pioneer's quite yet.

In short I managed to snap the headphones along the hinge and after I super-glued/plastic cemented them I realized I voided the warranty even after only having them less than 3 months. They held together for the next 3 months so long as I re-glued them once a month. Needless to say it was irritating.

To make matters worse the sound started dieing. My technics would sound perfectly normal, then cut out randomly, and go back to normal seconds later. Eventually, it reached the point where both sides would work on mono, but at lower quality or one ear would sound great on stereo, but the other would have no sound at all.

I ended up buying some Technics rp-dh1200's (pic below for ref) and those have served me well for the last six months and are still holding, but I held on too my Pioneer's anyway.

I've been thinking about rebuilding the chassis of my Pioneer's for some time. I disassembled them earlier today using this guide: http://www.customcans.co.uk/blog/?p=39 and just to make sure that everything was working properly I plugged in my headphones and still received sound from the drivers although it looks like some of the wires had been pulled loose. I'm convinced they will work at full capacity again if I can rewire them. I'm at this point right now, see pic below (note: this is not my pic).

My current thinking process is to salvage the drivers and any circuitry, but replace all the wiring and the cord (if that is the cause) and then fabricate a custom housing or mount my headphones in the housing of another pair.

Anyone on these forums happen to have a nice pair of headphones that are dead electronically, but still intact physically? I'm looking for something robust that can stand up to extreme usage. Yes I use to even sleep with full sized headphones before I broke my last two pairs. I like the design of the Pioneer HDJ-2000's in particular (pic below for reference). I've had bad luck with brittle failure close to the pivot joint in the headband and something metallic would be nice (aluminum, magnesium, carbon fiber? etc.)

I'm going to keep looking around for headphone enclosures, if not I may have to fabricate my own. Price is not so much the issue here. I want my some nice headphones that won't break, or with a personal touch if I do end up fabricating. I will post pics of my progress.

In the mean time, does anyone know of any good websites for purchasing headphones enclosures or building material if I custom build the chassis. Thanks.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 2
I would expect fabricating one would be tricky and expensive
But if you want a properly indestructible pair and don't want to fork out the £230 for some HDJ-2000 I would recommend the  sennheiser HD25 or HD280 both of which are very durable and the HD25 is good because all the parts are user replaceable and easily purchased if you do manage to break them ( unlikely though )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back