Pioneer DV-667A universal player: any thoughts?
Jun 8, 2004 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Well finally some players like the Pioneer DV-667A are getting discounted in Australia. I noticed that these are now going for under A$500 and thought they might be "that" SACD player I'm after.

I have a NAD C542 player for straight redbook CDs and HDCDs. No complaints with this baby and I doubt I would prefer another CD player I could afford. That said, HDCD is just SO GOOD I am tempted to got full 24 bit sound and get an SACD player just for playing these hi-definition cds. The Pioneer also plays DVD audio and regular DVD video as a bonus!!!!

So... where's the down side guys? Or could I be dissappointed with less than decent SACD reproduction out of this base model unit?

Any thoughts most welcome?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know much about this new Pioneer DV-667A universal player but I would check for these points:

PURE DSD with NO PCM CONVERSION = PURE SA-CD
DACs: who? specs? how many?
DVD-VIDEO: internal video scaler? HDMI? DVI-D with HDCP?
DVD-AUDIO: DACs? Bits? Sampling Frequency?
Red Book CD: over-conversion? over-sampler?
Lastly: OWNER REVIEWS & IMPRESSIONS?

I would hold off on purchasing any universal player until you get some feedback from owners and perhaps some informal / professional reviews. Your wallet may thank you.

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Welly Wu, my wallet may indeed thank you!

Pioneer's web site gives very general information such as: 192kHz/24-bit D/A Converter. Not many "specifics" like who's DAC it uses. The company's brochure is not so information but I note the absence of what Pioneer calls "pure audio" which is a feature of their more expensive models. As such, I think your cautionary advise is very relevant unless, as you said, personal views of owners might give this unit definitive praise.

But why do I think this non-purchase won't help my wallet in the long run?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 7
TonyTripleA:

If you can afford to wait, then wait until at least the end of Q3 2004. I say so because there will be a rash of universal players that will finally make it to market. They are all targeted at different price points from as little as $200 USD up to $4,000+ USD. It seems that the Samsung HD941 is all of the rage right now but this is what I would highly recommend you look for in a universal player regardless of price:

AUDIO END:
PURE DSD with NO DSD -> PCM CONVERSION (PURE SACD)
24bit/192KHz Burr Brown DACs X 3
Very good Analog Stage
3 Prong IEC Power Socket (power cord rolling)
Oversampling 176.4KHz / 192KHz for 44.1 / 48KHz (Red Book CD)
Upconvertor from 16-20bit -> 24bit (Red Book CD)
Ability to turn off video section with a button
Instant CD / Two Channel SACD / Multi-Channel SACD button change on remote control
Red Book CD, HDCD, DVD-Audio, SACD format playback

VIDEO END:
DCDi or Silicon Graphics Video DAC
Internal video upscaler to 720i/p and 1080i
HDMI or DVI-D with HDCP (HDMI 2.0 preferred)
NO CUE error
NO MACROBLOCKING error
PLUGE pass test
DVD + / - R/RW format compatibility (official or unofficial test confirmations)
14bit / 216MHz video DAC

So far, you're looking at something that is pretty high end in terms of a universal player but you would be darned surprised at how many of the above items you can get for well under $500 USD. I am. Take a look at the Samsung HD941 for instance or the newer Pioneer universal players. Then, there are a whole crop of newer generation universal players that are coming to market as we speak.

So, if you can...wait. Do some research on the home theater discussion forums. Search, search, and search some more. Talk to modders about specific models. Talk to owners about any problems or issues they noted.

Jun 11, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks again Welly Wu. I'll keep these specs in my pocket till later in the year. I'd rather get a great SACD player than an average one and the wallet will certainly agree to wait (I've got the feeling an amp purchase will occur next anyway).

And acs236, I think you are right. The Pioneer I mentioned appears to be for Asia/Australia. I do notice that the replacement model (designated model number ending in 68 rather than 67) has a few improvements such as progressive scan video on Pal as well as NTSC (the 67 model does not have this on pal, and of course Australia is pal).

I often wonder if it would be a plus if source manufacturers did away with on-board DACs altogether. Then we could purchase cheaper Cd and SACD components and couple them to a really good DAC. It seems a shame to have my nice NAD C542 player with its relatively good DAC only to have to buy another SACD player with another hopefully relatively good DAC. I imagine if a company cracks the quality issue for all media i.e. CD/SACD/DVDaudio in one universal player that will be the way to go. It would take a lot for me to say goodbye to my C542 though!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back