Pioneer DV-575A & Toshiba SD-330/340
Apr 16, 2005 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone use either of these as a source?

Pioneer DV-575A
Toshiba SD-330E
Toshiba SD-340E

All have had good reviews in the UK hi-fi press for both DVD and CD playback. I already have a Toshiba SD-330 for DVD duties. However, since it's very small, if the sound is good, it would make a good source for a relatively compact headphone system to go with my WNA and PIMETA.

I know the Toshiba SD7950/7960 is well regarded around here, but I think that's a US only model, and I have no idea what the UK equivalent is
confused.gif

Thanks,

Dave.

Apr 17, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Yep.

But I`ve never heard any of those Toshibas, so I can`t comapare the Pioneer to them. For what it`s worth - I still love it.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaldave

Pioneer DV-575A
Toshiba SD-330E
Toshiba SD-340E

All have had good reviews in the UK hi-fi press for both DVD and CD playback. I already have a Toshiba SD-330 for DVD duties. However, since it's very small, if the sound is good, it would make a good source for a relatively compact headphone system to go with my WNA and PIMETA.

I know the Toshiba SD7950/7960 is well regarded around here, but I think that's a US only model, and I have no idea what the UK equivalent is.

I believe Toshiba SD330 is SD3960 and SD340 is SD4960 in the US. This should make it easy for you to research around the internet.

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I own both a Pioneer DV-575A and a Toshiba SD-340E. Both have been slightly modded and are mainly used for audio playback.

I think the DV-575A is the better player when compared to the Toshiba SD-340E, even when considering that it costs about twice as much:

For CD playback I like the DV-575A better as it sounds less colored and more detailed than the SD-340E.

For DVD Video playback I think the SD-340E is slightly worse than my current DVD player (a DV-360), while the DV-575A is on par with the older Pio players.

The build quality of the Pioneer player is better than that of the Toshiba (PCB, tray mechanism). What I don't like about the Pioneer are some minor gripes related to the electronic design of the power supply and the audio section.

-MJW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back