Pioneer DV-563A Anyone Yet?
Jul 24, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Mine came in yesterday from Crutchfield so it's too new to give an accurate review. I popped the 'hood' on it and it does have a Philips SAA7893HL SACD decoder chip...it doesn't downsample to PCM as far as I can tell. Here's some more info on the chip :

Pioneer to use Philips’ SACD chip solution in advanced DVD

I've been burning it in and from what I've heard so far out of my HD580's I'm quite impressed.

Full review later,
Koui

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey Koui,

could you keep us posted on your thoughts? I am real interested in this player. I just need some prodding.

How is it for redbook the formats you have tried it with so far.

D

Jul 26, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 9
Extensive talk about the 563sa is available here. Do keep in mind that people on the AVS DVD Hardware Forum tend to be obsessed with visual (rather than audio) issues. They seem not to talk extensively about audio beyond bass management, though a few members have commented favorably on the 563's SACD playback.

Those who are interested in multiregion DVDs should know that Pioneer players are said to be as hackable as the Philips variety. There seem not to be threads on hacking the 563sa on the DVD Hardware Forum just yet, but there will be soon.

I, too, am interested in the audio features of this player. I was inches away from picking up a 555es for $475 before SACD II became an issue.

Jul 26, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I bought my Pioneer for audio use only so I can't comment on its video quality. I'm listening in stereo only with my HD580's hooked directly to the RCA front multichannel outs until my Meta42 amp arrives. There's +/- 6dB of level adjustment available for the multi outs when playing the stereo layer of discs, so passive attenuation isn't needed.

Some DVD-A's (and all SACD's) require the use of a video display to select between the stereo and multichannel layers. I use a capture card on my computer and view menus on my monitor (TV will work also). The manual suggests disabling digital out for improved audio quality. The difference is audible.

My previous experience with hi-res audio was limited to the DVD-A functions on my Audigy 2 soundcard. The Audigy won't allow me to access the stereo layer on many of my DVD-A's so I can only make comparisons between a few discs. The Pioneer is clearly superior in its audio quality to the Audigy! SACD playback is extremely precise and detailed. If there is any downsampling to PCM going on, I can't tell it makes any difference. Admittedly, my exposure to SACD is new. Redbook CD playback is as good or better than anything I've owned so far (Sony ES, etc.). The Burr-Brown DAC's are silky smooth and non-fatiguing.

So for the price, I think this is one of the best bargains in audio/video and a fine entry level introduction to the world of hi-res stereo/multichannel sound.

Good listening,
Koui

Jul 27, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 9
See below a pic of the guts of this player. Anyone see some good tweaks? Replacing caps, shielding, that kind of stuff.

pio.jpg

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 9
On Pioneer Germany site, there is only DV-565A advertised as a new model. This supposed to be the European version of DV563A?

link

EDIT: I found the DV565A at one on line store being sold at a ridiculous price of EUR 379.99 Or is it something completely different?
398.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back