Pioneer DV-563A.... any info??
Jun 30, 2003 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DVD player to use as a transport. I am considering products in the $150 -$200 price range. Until today, I was leaning towards the Toshiba SD-4800 or the Pioneer DV- 656A, until I saw tha Pioneer DV-563A at Crutchfield. It is a universal player, playing SACD and DVD-A as well as the usual formats in this segment (mp3, video CDs, blah blah blah).

I now see this as the player to get as it is well within my price range. But it seems pretty new.

In this thread I am also asking for recommendations in this area. Bear in mind that I will never buy a sony so dont bother recommending one(Sonys cause me too much stress)
mad.gif

These are the models I am considering:

1) Toshiba SD-4800
2) Pioneer DV-656A
3) Pioneer DV-563A
4) Possibly a Philips model (DVDQ35AT)
5) Possibly A Panasonic model

Any opinions welcome as to the above models and to any other recommendations

D

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 6
My suggestion: Keep saving till you can get an even better source.
-Mag

Jul 1, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
The Pioneer 563 is not even out yet. As to the performance of the player, who knows? One of the rumors is that the 563 downconverts DSD into PCM, therefore not beneficial to use as a SACD player. However, someone over at Steve Hoffman's website claimed to have received words from Pioneer denying this. So I guess we have to wait until the 563 is out to see what happens....

Aside from Sony and Pioneer, Zenith is also coming out with a universal player with a MSRP of $200.00. I know, I know....Zenith? Let's have an open mind and give it the benefit of doubt.

Jul 4, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
One of the rumors is that the 563 downconverts DSD into PCM, therefore not beneficial to use as a SACD player.

I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing, and not completely a "downconversion" -- it would have to "upconvert" the number of bits per sample at the same time that it downconverted the sample frequency. If the overall PCM rate is high enough, it shouldn't make a difference.

Meh, we'll see, when we start being able to actually hear this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back