Pioneer DJ HRM-5 & HRM-6
May 3, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #46 of 52
Before the mod i was returning the hrm-6. But the mod make the headphone sound in another level of detail and presence of the mids. The isolation is increased also. But i'd want some opinions from other owners of hrm-6, and a measurement would be the best

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 52
I changed the tape with the isolating electrical type. Even better sound. I don't need nothing else. I prefer these to the amiron home now, it's a better looking an well constructed srh940 without their harshness. I demoed a dt1770, i prefer the mids of the modded hrm6 by far. It's something the yamaha mt-8 will never be. The mids are so revealing now!!! The resonance is totally gone, and it's impressively easy to detect the amount of reverb. Try to listen 2become1 from Scary Pockets where the reverb is intentionally turned on and off. The soundstage is still there, the bass is tight and very nuanced, the high are more upfront but they never make mids sound harsh, the vocal are more focused but very smooth and better positioned. It's worth a try and i bet you'll never come back. Yes, the cymbals are a little bit "generic", but they also improved. Give me a hand, try the mod, it's very easy and if I am not a fool, this can solve a very common problem: the absence of cheap good sounding portable closed cans.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #49 of 52
Ok. You have brought new life to these. I swear I tried covering the port before but I guess not. Mids def have more clarity and presence now.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 52
I love the sound signature of the Pioneer HRM-6 headphones! I've tried many, and haven't found anything better to my ears.

To me they are the closest thing I've found to an equal loudness contour. I record and mix music, and to me, an equal loudness contour is really what is meant when people talk about a "flat frequency response", because this is really what the human ear perceives as flat.

I really appreciate that the HRM-6 have good punch in the low end (which you could say is possibly emphasized), and a dip in the midrange, especially near 3k (since this is where the human ear is most sensitive), and then a little bump up around 10k (where the human ear get's less sensitive) but not so high of bump as to make them fatiguing for long sessions. This type of curve, trying to follow equal loudness curve allows me to hear all frequencies well even when the volume is low. I like to keep the volume low as to not damage my hearing, and also to not fatigue my ears.

My only gripe with the HRM-6 is that they aren't as sturdy as the could be, and now my pair is getting flaky in one ear because one of the inner wires seems to have become partially severed (in a place where the cup occasionally becomes slightly detached from the headband). When I went to look for a new pair, I discovered they are no longer in stock in several places including the place I bought them before, and have become significantly more expensive in the places that do have them in stock. This causes to to wonder if this means they're being discontinued? Please say it isn't so! I love my HRM-6!

So now now that I'm looking for a new pair of headphones anyway, it makes me wonder is there anything better out there with a similar sound signature? Especially if it might be more durable or more replaceable parts?

I currently also have a pair of V-moda M-100 (which I love for their durability), which have some good bass emphasis, but lack the dip in the 3k range of an equal loudness curve, and also don't have the sparkle in the high end that the HRM-6 has. Other than that, I like the V-moda's a lot for their good low end (though maybe they don't need to be quite as strong of a bass bump, as the HRM-6 bass bump is a little less). I've looked at some of the newer V-moda headphones, but it seems that many of the newer models lack the bass emphasis that the M-100 have. I've looked at the V-moda M-100 Master, the V-moda Crossfade Wireless 2, and the M-200, and all of them seem that they no longer have any kind of bass emphasis at all? Is this true? Did V-moda really lose the bass they've been known for, for so long?

Anyway, apologies for the long rant, but anyone have ideas for headphones that follow an equal loudness contour, like the HRM-6, or which have a bass emphasis, a midrange recess (especially around 3k), and a neutral treble (possibly emphasized only a little around 10k)?

Thanks in advance!
Jacob

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #51 of 52
The HRM-5 look to be the same thing but only go up to 30khz vs 40khz and slightly less power handling. B&H still have them in stock for $60. Might be worth grabbing from them and see how they and return if not the same.

Gave my paid of 6 to my dad about a year or so ago and he uses them when he goes on walks.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #52 of 52
Lurk650, you raise a good point! I had read the 30khz vs 40khz thing, and had worried the high end might not sparkle the same, but now that I look again at the frequency response graph from this thread, and it would appear that their high end is not deficient at all. The only thing is that that it seems their low end doesn't quite have the same thump (which others have reported), but maybe it's not that big of a difference. I just may have to take your recommendation for now, if for no other reason than having a low cost spare! Thanks! :)

Anyone else have any other thoughts of headphones that would fit the bill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back