Pioneer announces SE-DIR800C for USA
May 12, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 25
I received the Pioneer SE-DIR800C from Onecall.com today.

Am I the first person to receive the USA version?

I placed the order by phone on Monday. I asked the salesperson (Matt) if he could match the $269 price at Datavis.com, but he told me that it's not a reputable dealer. However, he offered to sell them to me for $290 plus shipping ($13.18), which is much lower than the $399 price listed on their site. By the way, they claim to be an "Authorized Internet Dealer" for Pioneer, which may be useful for warranty purposes.

One thing I noticed right away is that the gray plastic is much darker than the Japanese version.

May 12, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci
I received the Pioneer SE-DIR800C from Onecall.com today.

Am I the first person to receive the USA version?

Well, maybe not the "first" person to receive the USA version, but probably the first Head-Fi.org member to receive one.
biggrin.gif
(Congratulations! I had the feeling that EricF was going to be the first on the block with the U.S. version.)

I hope you'll post your impressions of the unit, and if you have a camera you'll post a few pictures. (And if you have time, you'll read this thread: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59025 to see how the US version differs from the Japanese version.)

Please keep us posted with your experiences.

May 13, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 25
Thanks for the great pictures, Erik! (I'm jealous, now. You've got a much flashier box than the red Japanese box I've got.
tongue.gif
)

After you've had a few days of break-in, I hope you'll post back with some impressions.

May 13, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the pics Eric...looks like they went for a non-chome look like the Japanese version..especially the front panel and the control buttons. I must say I like the looks of the USA version better than my Japanese version.

May 14, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 25
So far I have listened to several inputs: analog, PCM, DTS (from a CD), DD2.0, and DD5.1. Two observations...
1. The wireless headphones sound much brighter than my Sennheiser HD600.
2. When I use the wired output and turn the volume knob beyond the "1 o'clock" position (i.e., about 60% of the way from MIN to MAX), I hear some distortion of bass frequencies during the opening scene of Star Wars Ep2. To work around this issue, I can keep the knob at "1 o'clock" and connect the wired output to my Creek amp. Note: I don't hear any such distortion on the wireless headphones.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 25
Pioneer 800C Dolby Headphone unit is now advertised on the Pioneer UK & Europe websites.
Does anyone know when they will be available to buy in the UK?
How much are they likely to cost?
I am getting excited! I may not have to import from Japan or USA after all!

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 25
Man, am I glad I just bought a P4 3.0C (Northwood; the Prescott is slower), Intel 875P mobo and 1g of Crucial memory minutes before I saw this thread. whew. Man, I want this unit. You lucky son of a gun.
biggrin.gif

Why isn't there a button to select the input? The fibre optical input will probably be what most of us would use, but SACD can't go through optical, so... is there interference?

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 25
There is a button to switch inputs- Optical/Coax/Analog. The unit will also take a 32bit digital input.

I love it. Nice dynamic range. Only problem is I find the headphones a bit uncomfortable- one of the earpads wasn't stitched on quite right- I'm hoping it will soften up after extended use.

I'll probably buy another pair for guests, and hopefully the AT cans once they're made available seperately.

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'll probably buy another pair for guests, and hopefully the AT cans once they're made available seperately.

They are already available in Japan for MSRP 32000yen.

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric F
The unit will also take a 32bit digital input.

That's interesting. It says that in the manual? I assume it's integer not floating point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back