pioneer a-35r loudness contour - is the cake a lie? (how do I turn it on?)
Jun 6, 2009 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
I (finally) tracked down my A-35r integrated amp from UPS (I hate that first lost package after moving), and after a movie or two with the ladyfriend, swapped out the old receiver driving my desktop setup.

These speakers have been been a love/hate thing for me since I bought them back in 2002 - Boston Acoustics VR-M60. Nice imaging and tight bass (especially nearfield) but they tend to be too bright for me. The pioneer is a warm integrated, and the combo is, well, awesome. Any annoying brightness is gone, yet it doesn't sound dark.

So, while I am enjoying the heck out of the amplifier - I cannot for the life of me figure out how to engage the loudness contour. It is mentioned in the manual and in pioneer's specifications on their website - was this a deleted feature that still has some leftover signs, or is there some secret button or knob to turn it on that I can't find?

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 3
By using the volume knob. "Loudness contour" is referring to the human ears sensitivity to different frequencies at different level of loudness, so the amp is tuned to raise a particular frequencies at different volume level as a compensation. It sound great in theory, but if its not a good amp the music can still sound like crap.

I don't see what it has anything to do with making the sound signature being dark. I owned the a-35r and I don't remember it making my music sounded dark. It actaully has a little brightness issue in the low treble if I remember correctly. Ideally I want an amp to change the characteristic of my speaker sound as least as possible, but it seem to be the reason why people buy amp. But we're getting into the sound science territory.

If you want it to sound dark, turn off the Direct feature and turn the Treble knob all the way down.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By using the volume knob. "Loudness contour" is referring to the human ears sensitivity to different frequencies at different level of loudness, so the amp is tuned to raise a particular frequencies at different volume level as a compensation. It sound great in theory, but if its not a good amp the music can still sound like crap.

I don't see what it has anything to do with making the sound signature being dark. I owned the a-35r and I don't remember it making my music sounded dark. It actaully has a little brightness issue in the low treble if I remember correctly. Ideally I want an amp to change the characteristic of my speaker sound as least as possible, but it seem to be the reason why people buy amp. But we're getting into the sound science territory.

If you want it to sound dark, turn off the Direct feature and turn the Treble knob all the way down.

Thanks, I know what a Fletcher-Munson loudness curve is.

The manual for the a-35r specifically references that the "loudness" control is disabled by the direct feature, and it gives the specs for the "loudness contour" in the manual. If you'd looked through the manual you'd have seen it.

If you can recommend a wire-with-gain neutral integrated amplifier for less than $170, by all means please do so. Most receivers and amps in this category err towards brightness though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back