PINT or Mini^3???
Apr 9, 2006 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, I understand the Mini^3 boards haven't come out yet, but which do you think would be cheaper to build? What is the difference between the PINT and the Mini^3? Besides having a bigger case. Also, which headphones do you think have good synergy with the AD8397? Thanks

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 15
The PINT will be cheaper if you put it in a mint tin, as the Serpac H65 cases are about $13. The PINT is SMD, the Mini³ is through hole, and vaporware, I might add, as there is no telling when we will finish it. If you want something in the near future, get a PINT. If you want the PINT to sound its best, Mini³ify it as described elsewhere by replacing C1 with 1K resistors and replacing the gain resistors with 100x smaller values.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
The PINT will be cheaper if you put it in a mint tin, as the Serpac H65 cases are about $13. The PINT is SMD, the Mini³ is through hole, and vaporware, I might add, as there is no telling when we will finish it. If you want something in the near future, get a PINT. If you want the PINT to sound its best, Mini³ify it as described elsewhere by replacing C1 with 1K resistors and replacing the gain resistors with 100x smaller values.

Gosh, that statement is depressing.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel

So, you have no idea when they'll be finnished
frown.gif
, I might just have to get the PINT. Could you explain to me how to 'Mini^3ify' it? Thanks

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
frown.gif
, I might just have to get the PINT. Could you explain to me how to 'Mini^3ify' it? Thanks

do exactly what she just said...replace c1 on the circuit with 1K resistors and changing your gain resistors to the value you would normally used divided by 100.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Gosh, that statement is depressing.

Simple reality really. These things take time and the people behind them are dedicated to making their design the best it can be, not just acceptable. Tangent had a quicker go with the PINT so it's what you've got for now, Morsel and amb are fighting with the Mini³ when they can, here's to hoping things go well as I'll surely be building both
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 15
We're looking forward to it.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 15
You may want to take a look at my thread before you jump right into mini3'ifying it, since I went with the gain resistor configuration suggested (4,02k and 1,33k). The AD8397 on the ground channel didn't take kindly to it, in all three amps I built. I'm now left with an AD8397/LM6172 hybrid :p

If you want to use that configuration, you are probably going to need to put something like a 20 or 33 ohm resistor in L1 instead of a ferrite, though ferrites for the other op-amp are okay. I also recommend installing C3 for additional stability.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 15
To be honnest, I am really not good with my hands, so I would probaly commision someone to build me this amp. Filburt, do you find the ad8397 an 'agressive' op-amp? Also, how do you like your hybrid? Thanks

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

To be honnest, I am really not good with my hands, so I would probaly commision someone to build me this amp. Filburt, do you find the ad8397 an 'agressive' op-amp? Also, how do you like your hybrid? Thanks

It's a very aggressive op-amp, as far as the ones I've tried go. It isn't quite as wide and deep feeling as my CMoy (well, it's sort of a CMoy...not exactly though) w/ OPA2107, but it is more detailed and forward. IMHO, it would match well with something like Sennheisers which benefit greatly from such a combination of speed, detail, forwardness, and aggression. On headphones like RS-1s, though, I think it may be a bit intense. I'm not totally sold on the sound as of yet, but I do like it tremendously better than an AD8620 equipped MINT. A lot of people seem to like the 8620, but I find it nearly intolerable sonically, whereas the 8397 is still pleasant for its detail, speed, and managing to retain decent balance despite the aggression.

As far as the hybrid, it works fine from what I can tell. I don't know how much I'm losing to dual 8397, but I'm not suspecting it's really huge. It sounds very similar to something like a Hornet, if you've ever heard that. The LM6172 is definitely a lot happier at unity gain than the 8397. Of the four 8397s I've bought, only one is still working. 2 blew up at the ground, and one blew up along with the ground.

I will say, though, that it sounds better than a large portion of portable amps I've tried out there. One of these days, I'm going to miniaturise the configuration I have for my 'cmoy' and compare.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

frown.gif

Aside from what others have already mentioned, see also post 59 in the PINT problems thread.

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I realize this would make it bigger and thus would not fit into the mint tin, but is it possible to make a TREAD for the PINT? Thanks

Of course
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back