Pinnacle P1 Replacement Help Needed
Mar 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Colors

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone suggest a good IEM replacement or upgrade for the Pinnacle P1?

Very neutral sound, wide soundstage, no listening fatigue and comfortable ear insertions (I have small ear canals). I prefer a balanced distribution of frequencies. I'm currently using the Seinnheiser Momentum IEM but not really a fan of it after I used the P1 for awhile. I find the Sennheiser Momentum IEM too bassy and there's not a good separation of instruments (my favourite part about the P1s).

My budget is around USD300. I'm a casual listener with TIDAL (FLAC) + iPhone 6S + Jitterbug + Dragonfly Red setup. The genres I listen to are Alternative Rock, Indie and Folk. Looking to improve my everyday music listening experience during my hour commute and at home!

Currently I'm looking at:
  • Seinnheiser IE80
  • Dunu DN-2000
  • Dunu DN-2000J
  • RHA MA750i
  • RHA T20i
  • 1MORE Quad Driver
  • Others (?)
I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me. I wish I could test IEMs in-store here in Toronto. Thank you so much!

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 13
You might also look into an Oriveti New Primacy. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is conceivable it could work for you as well. Perhaps also the Campfire Orion--just a bit over budget, but probably worth it.

Mar 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi, thanks for those suggestions! I look those up.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 13
if you could stretch your budget to 350 you could get the etymotic er4 series of iems, theres and sr model (neutral) and an xr model (slightly bumped up bass). both can be considered really neutral but the sr model is basically built for professional monitoring with absolutely no coloration to its sound whatsoever.

have you heard of the harman target response curve? its the idea that human hearing is not neutral like our headphones are; there is a slight bump in the bass for warmth, and i think thats why most headphones described as "natural" are definitely warmer than dead neutral.

if possible, you should try both models if you can because it really depends on preference but people often say the xr model is more natural while the sr model is more neutral.

unfortunately, these aren't particularly comfortable iems, especially if you use their triple flange tips; they insert very deeply. (you could get custom molded eartips for that, but at that point, you might as well get entry level customs)

i'm not sure about listening fatigue because i've only demoed them for a short time.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 13
I second the Campfire Orion (the B-stock versions are just under $300), and the ER4XR. You might have issues with fit however - some say the Campfire Audio BA models can be too bulky, while the ER4XR, as the previous comment mentioned, inserts pretty deeply (they’re small otherwise though).

From your list, I’ve tried the two RHA models and the Quad Driver in addition to the P1, and IMO none of them were necessarily big improvements over the P1.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I cannot stretch my budget for the ER4XR/SR.

Currently getting the Dunu DN-2000 from Amazon Prime to test it. If I don't like, I can ship it back and get the Campfire Orion. It's from an independent store here in Canada so it's a much bigger risk for me since there are no returns for IEMs.

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 13
I returned the DUNU-2000 (great soundstage, bass and midrange, recessed trebles but the drivers were too heavy and big for my ears and the islotation was not great for loud subways).

I ordered the ER4XR. Hoping it goes well. Cost me USD350 which was out of my budget but I don't want to be disappointed again. Hoping the isolation and comfort is good.

Can anyone also suggest earbud tips for small ear canals? I usually use the smallest one in any IEM accessories set (like 10mm or lower). Right now I'm looking at small Comply Comort Plus and Isolation Plus TSX-100.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks! I'll search.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Still waiting on my ER4XR replacements from Etymotic. I actually read some reviews and bought a pair of HiFiMAN RE-400 Waterline. It was on sale for really cheap for USD50.

These are..surprisingly good pair of IEMs for the price. Pretty flat sound signature which I like and a little warm. Decent soundstage. Super comfortable too. Isolation is average. Makes me question why I'm spending USD350 on other IEMs haha.

I also auditioned a pair of Shure SE425 which I really like. Nice and flat with good mids and ok soundstage. Isolation is amazing as well. I'm beginning to suspect I really like a super flat sound signature with forward mids > comfort > a good amount of soundstage > isolation in that order. Not a fan of the V-shaped sound signature.

Can anyone recommend me other IEMs to try out also? As a beginner and newbie who's venturing into the world of sound, I would really appreciate it!

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Figured I make my 1000th post here.

Funny how after 1000 posts and going through so many IEMs, I ended up with the Orion and ER4SR :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back