Pink Noise
Sep 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Malux

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up the denon ah-c751 ($99 @ buy.com). I want to burn them in with pink noise when i get them...

This might be a stupid question but here goes (be gentle, i'm a noob). Is there a pink noise MP3 I can play through them? If so, where can I download it?

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a stupid question but here goes (be gentle, i'm a noob). Is there a pink noise MP3 I can play through them? If so, where can I download it?

A very quick Google search picked up this one :Pink Noise MP3 Download [Digital]

There might be others tho.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 18
Just got finished doing some noise searches myself based on my purchase of the Ambiance application for my iPhone. For headphone burn in, it would seem that Brown/Red noise would be best, as it is heavily weighted to low frequency tones, with the power going down at each ascending octave, more so than pink noise.

ADDED: here is a link to a site with a flash player that will run pink, white or brown noise at your discrection. A neat feature is the oscillator, which will automatically raise and lower the level of the noise from your predetermined high level. A handy tool for burn in believers that fear stressing their headphones too much leaving them on high volume all the time...

http://simplynoise.com/

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 18
Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

This site has a lot of audio clips of sounds to use for burn-in (pink/white noise, frequency sweeps, etc...)

Download section for Burninwave generator

That is a program you can download from that website that will do pink noise, white noise, frequency sweeps, and pure tones. You just select the sound you want from the 'Generator' tab, then press play and let it run though your phones (make sure it is at an appropriate volume). It's the one that have used before and it works fine for the most part. If you change any of the sounds, make sure to press stop first before making any changes.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 18
don't do mp3 for pink noise. make sure you get either flac or wav version. your phone will burn in only 1/5 the speed. if you get flac or wav, you will burn in the phone at full speed so that 100 hours is 100 hours versus 500 hours.

good luck!

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 18
As long as the parts move, it doesn't matter. The argument could be that a better quality pink noise track has move overall movements per time frame. It's sort of like burning in a speaker with music versus sine waves. The sine waves will make the speaker move through more of its range. Irregardless of beliefs, all you want to do is flex the parts. You're essentially putting a chunk of wear time into the materials so that when you do listen to the headphones, the sound doesn't change much, if at all. It isn't to say listening to the headphones new isn't bad. It's just that the sound signature will change some as you initially listen to them. There may be some initial tight, constrained sound and harshness you might initially have to listen through until everything loosens up a little.

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my burn in tracks.

Frequency sweeps, sine, square, saw, and trangle waves, pink and white noise, and impulse train.

hmm.. im definitely gonna download this when i get home

i've been burning in my pk3's by just shuffling through songs on my itunes....i leave it playing all night and when im at work... the volume is a bit above normal... is this wrong or bad?

also.. when my PFE's get here, do they require burn-in?

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay but what about the amps there are no moving parts there... (I know it's off forum. but on topic)

The moving parts are electrons through silicon (or copper, aluminum, or whatever the material is). The silicon is materials are doped (impurities are added to change electron flow properties), so over time the path changes with electron flow. Other electrical parts also exhibit burn in. Think of a flowing stream that carves a notch out in a rock over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.. im definitely gonna download this when i get home

i've been burning in my pk3's by just shuffling through songs on my itunes....i leave it playing all night and when im at work... the volume is a bit above normal... is this wrong or bad?

also.. when my PFE's get here, do they require burn-in?

Depending upon what is played (music, waves, etc) and the volume your PK3s will eventually become fully burned in. There is no best way to burn in IMO and there are many factors that can change the results. Maybe if you were to use a specific square wave at x watts for x time people would be able to get repeatable results, but it shouldn't be that complex.

If you want to keep it simple you can just use music, as mvw said (paraphrasing), the driver just needs to move back and forth repeatedly!

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 18
I see. didn't think electrons actually can do that much change.
interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't do mp3 for pink noise. make sure you get either flac or wav version. your phone will burn in only 1/5 the speed. if you get flac or wav, you will burn in the phone at full speed so that 100 hours is 100 hours versus 500 hours.

good luck!

Sounds like ******** to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back