Pink Noise
Mar 10, 2007 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dr.J

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings everyone!

This is my first post!

I recently purchased an Outlaw 990 pre/pro for a surround sound setup, with my Anthem Statement A5 amplifier. However, currently I have only the rear speakers up and running, while awaiting the rebuild of my main speakers and need yet to purchase a center. In the mean time, I've been using my old, Sony MDR CD550's, for enjoying the surround sound effect. I've enjoyed this experience so much that I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a pair of quality headphones and am leaning towards the AKG K701's.

The 990’s manual provides no specs on its headphone amp and so I've queried the manufacturer and am awaiting a response before making a decision on the 701’s, as I understand they’re power hungry. In the mean time, I've been researching and reading and came across something called: "Pink noise" as a means to breaking in a pair of headphones.

I'm writing now, for the prime purpose of asking what this is: "pink noise," how to produce it and how to make use of it with a new pair of headphones? Also, just how effective is it?

Any and all info appreciated.

thanks,

John

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 22
Hey Dr. J-

Pink noise is a sound that uses all frequencies. It sounds like white noise, which sounds like your average radio static. It's used around here to "burn in" new headphones, amps, and cables. I'm not sure how you make it, but there are plenty of places to download a sample of it on the internet.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 22
Google 'pink noise mp3' and you will find plenty of files for free. The longer the file, the less it has to repeat . . . which is not a big deal, just more pauses.

Or load up a CD by Pink, like 'get this party started'
eggosmile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 22
If you go for the binkster CD, please read THIS POST about that (also has direct links to the two safe tracks on that CD - Pink noise and silence, which you can loop one after the other to give the headphones a "rest" between 20 minute pink noise sessions). PLEASE do not play that Binkster CD end-to-end. Read the docs, or at least that post mentioned.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 22
Thank you all for your responses!

tbritton, are you suggesting that I save tracks 58 and 59 to alternate between pink noise and silence, burning the pair to a cd and then letting the cd run on repeat?

And, if I understand you correctly, how long would I let it play, continuously ... a few hours, several hours, more?

I just want to be sure, do not want to make any mistakes.

Again, thank you all !

John

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 22
Uh oh...I run my 1 minute pink noise mp3 track continuously to "break in" new phones. Not too loud though...

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink noise is a sound that uses all frequencies. It sounds like white noise, which sounds like your average radio static.

Pink noise by *definition* cannot sound like white noise.
blink.gif

Pink noise has the same amount of power per octave.
So with pink noise, 440Hz to 880Hz sounds as loud as range of 880Hz to 1760Hz.
Human ear perceives the loudness the same way, and that's why pink noise is suitable for measuring frequency response.
White noise in contrast has equal amplitude across all frequencies.
Because human ear uses octaves to perceive loudness, white noise sounds very trebley, and has almost no low frequency content.

One could test headphones for good sound quality by making bandpassed pink noise and comparing the volume of each frequency band together.
If the amplitude is equal between different bands, the headphone will probably sound very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've actually used this method (+sine sweeps as well) myself to eq my own phones... They're much better now.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise has pretty good info about colors of noise... interesting stuff.
Brown noise is also fun... sounds a bit like traveling inside a car.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for your responses!

tbritton, are you suggesting that I save tracks 58 and 59 to alternate between pink noise and silence, burning the pair to a cd and then letting the cd run on repeat?

And, if I understand you correctly, how long would I let it play, continuously ... a few hours, several hours, more?

I just want to be sure, do not want to make any mistakes.

Again, thank you all !

John

The "silent treatment" was suggested by Sovkiller as the method he employed, and it sounds like a good safe way of doing it, giving it a rest every so often. But yes, that is what I'm describing - a two (or four or six) track CD set to repeat this, at a moderate volume, so the break-in process is easier and includes all possible frequencies, not just ones which are harmonics of typical fundamentals used in modern music.

The Proline 2500 and 750 benefited from over a week of this treatment. Most non-Ultrasone headphones seem to require less time, but Ultrasones do seem to need a lot of burn-in by all accounts, up to 250 hours to really sweeten up at last.

Just do not blast the volume thinking it will work faster... there's no reason to be in a rush! And some of those peaks may fatigue the drivers unnecessarily if played too loud for too long a time. There is no evidence other than anecdotal suggesting it could hurt things, but I'd rather err on the side of safety myself!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfraser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh oh...I run my 1 minute pink noise mp3 track continuously to "break in" new phones. Not too loud though...

Don't worry! I didn't use the silent space either when I broke in my Proline 750's. That suggestion is a new one thanks to Sovkiller. But like I said, it seems like a good idea in that it couldn't hurt and might even help!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tbritton,

thanks for your guidance; I appreciate it.

And, I agree; I, too, like to err on the side of caution.

John

Let us know how your burn-in proceeds, John! Glad I could help out some.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Would you do this for IEMs as well?

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaMMa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you do this for IEMs as well?

If they use the armature type of drivers, then those would not benefit from this at all. As far as I've heard from all quarters, those do not ever require it, as their design is completely different from the dynamic drivers we are all used to.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back