Pink Noise did wonders to my RS-1's!
Feb 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Been listening to my new RS-1's for a few days now, and while I think they sound really good, they have been a little bass shy and hard edged, and somewhat harsh and thin sounding. Felt like instruments sounded somewhat smaller than real life. And the piercing and harsh mids have made me turn down the volume, because they tickle my inner ear, and was really annoying. I am not listening to very loud levels, and seldom turn my volume on the DV332 over 9 o'clock.

But, yesterday I decided to fast forward the burn-in process, so I took my chance cranking the DV332 to about 1-2 o'clock (its unlistenable loud), letting some Pink Noise run through them for about 10 hours. I was worried that I might blow the drivers, because I could actually hear the phones in the basement in a room with closed door laying in a closed HD650 box with foam
redface.gif
. But no harm done, and it did wonders to them! Gone is the annoying piercing upper mids, and the bass seems to have become more round on the edges with more body.

They have settled down a lot. The transformation is actually night and day!

Now the sound is just sweeeeeeet!!!

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 24
Where can I get some White, Pink etc noise from?

Is there any CD or Download in perticular that's great for headphone burn in? Also, would it make any difference or improvements to my 3/4 year old Senn HD650's at all?

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 24
I've read about this pink noise working before, but I didn't realize you had to use it so loud. I'd be hesitant to try that.

Kudos to you for taking the gamble! I'm glad to hear that it has paid off for you.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 24
Yeah, pink noise is great but can be hard on amps for home systems if used too loud (speaker systems). I use it all the time but man does it get boring after a while. One of these days I may experiment with the phones off my head when I use it.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, pink noise is great but can be hard on amps for home systems if used too loud (speaker systems). I use it all the time but man does it get boring after a while. One of these days I may experiment with the phones off my head when I use it.

LOL You're freaking kidding... Why would you want to listen to the white noise?

There's this program called "Noise" for the mac that I use to generate a constant stream of white noise that I've used to burn in some equipment before. They say it's good for blocking out external sound... that people would actually listen to it with headphones or something ... but I couldn't imagine actually listening to the noise for any reason. How about some nice ambient music to get away from reality!?

I assume you're joking, jamato8.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 24
I found a site that has lots of noise samples.

Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

Would it be best to have one constant sample of noise or have each one play in repeat?
Some are really bass heavy and some very high pitched, maybe repeat Pink noise one for an hour, then white, then Low Frequency and so forth?

There is also a Windows noise generator on the website I have provided.

So, what would be best to exercise the old 'phones?

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0shimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a site that has lots of noise samples.

Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

Would it be best to have one constant sample of noise or have each one play in repeat?
Some are really bass heavy and some very high pitched, maybe repeat Pink noise one for an hour, then white, then Low Frequency and so forth?

There is also a Windows noise generator on the website I have provided.

So, what would be best to exercise the old 'phones?

Use pink noise and loop it so it never stops.

Pink noise is made of the entire spectrum.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a search for pink noise and found this link in another thread here.

Michael Knowles: Extras

Scroll down and check out #58. It's a 20 minute long track of pink noise that you can loop.

I noticed the Pink Noise from another older thread here on Head-Fi if I'm not mistaken.

I made a playlist of a 20 minutes long Pink Noise track (.wav)(might be the same), and 2 minutes of digital silence, and looped it. Dont know if the digital silence is needed, but did it to give the drivers some rest in between...

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a search for pink noise and found this link in another thread here.

Michael Knowles: Extras

Scroll down and check out #58. It's a 20 minute long track of pink noise that you can loop.

I use this track, and then follow it with track 57 which is 2 minutes of silence. Gives the drivers a rest.

No need to crank it up so high! Put the volume slightly above normal listening volume.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 24
Have to add: Don't blame me if you blow your phones or speakers running at too high volumes. Before I did this "stupid" stunt, I have been running them with pink noise at lower volumes about 15 hours all together ( a little higher than listening level ), but that did'nt seem to do much or anything at all...

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL You're freaking kidding... Why would you want to listen to the white noise?

There's this program called "Noise" for the mac that I use to generate a constant stream of white noise that I've used to burn in some equipment before. They say it's good for blocking out external sound... that people would actually listen to it with headphones or something ... but I couldn't imagine actually listening to the noise for any reason. How about some nice ambient music to get away from reality!?

I assume you're joking, jamato8.

No, no, not white noise, that is really boring, I use Pink noise. It is good for limbering up your ears, well ear drum, as well as the headphones but yeesh, it does have a psychological effect after a while. I kind of just stare at people for the first few hours after using it for say, 8 hours or so.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, not white noise, that is really boring, I use Pink noise. It is good for limbering up your ears, well ear drum, as well as the headphones but yeesh, it does have a psychological effect after a while. I kind of just stare at people for the first few hours after using it for say, 8 hours or so.

lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back