Pink Floyd's 'The Division Bell'
Feb 19, 2005 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
What is that odd 'scratching' noise that begins the album about?

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 13
I've always thought of it as fire, burning. Not sure why there would be campfire noises there though. Maybe it's meant to be something else, maybe it's up to each of us to decide what we think it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
iirc its credited as being "earth noises" in the liner notes. i dont think anyone has a real definite answer as to what they really are, there have been alot of discussions on the subject on credible pf info sites.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
If you are listening to an old cabinet-radio, with tubes and glowing "eyes" in the front, at night when the reception is at it's best and on the AM-bands: While you are turning the search-knob and moving through stations on the band, these are the sounds you get!

Huh... intresting. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has an old radio I can this out with
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 13
A few people I have spoken to who are pretty credible Floyd anoraks reckon they are electromagnetic sonics.. something to do with the magnetosphere (VLF and ELF) apparantly (after recording) these sounds are audible by the human ear..... unrecorded they are inaudible being very low frequency and extra low frequency......

The crackly sonics could be lightning strikes coming from anywhere
on Earth at the time of recording and the whistling sounds could be attributed to VLF..... there's been a lot of discussion about this but no definitive answer.

I'd go with "morning chorus" myself
tongue.gif

BTW: IMO The Division Bell is a Gilmour fest and is not even closely related to a Pink Floyd composition...... It's not a bad album but it's far from a good one, it's certainly not a Pink Floyd album without Roger (and it shows).

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
BTW: IMO The Division Bell is a Gilmour fest and is not even closely related to a Pink Floyd composition...... It's not a bad album but it's far from a good one, it's certainly not a Pink Floyd album without Roger (and it shows).

I'm pretty sure you've been into these discussion on a few previous occasions
smily_headphones1.gif
But I feel DG don't get the credit he deserves. Many people say that PF is not the same without RW, but RW can't recreate the PF feeling from Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall through his solo career. I think it was the interaction between the mebers that resulted in PF, and they need to work togheter to have any hope of recreating this. BTW, I'm not saying RW's solo work is not good, I've spent MANY hours with Amused to Death and Pros and Cons... in particular.

Knut

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Pink:

Agree with you saying that it's a Gilmore solo album.. he wasn't as creative as Waters was.
However, Waters solo albums aren't as great either. David Gilmore or Syd Baret have to be with Waters to make him the best, as we've seen.

Division Bell was not a terrible album, though.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo
I'm pretty sure you've been into these discussion on a few previous occasions
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Very seldom on Head-Fi, I'm a lot more active in other places.

Mike.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Pink:

Waters solo albums aren't as great either.

"Amused to Death"?

A classic IMO.

Knocks seven bells of **** out of The Division Bell (IMO)

It may be "13" years old but it just shows how ahead of the game Roger is.... the lyrics have only now started to make sense what with Iraq etc.

Amused to death album lyrics here

Sir turn up the TV sound
The war has started on the ground
Just love those laser guided bombs
They're really great
For righting wrongs
You hit the target
And win the game
From bars 3,000 miles away
3,000 miles away
We play the game
With the bravery of being out of range
We zap and maim
We strafe the train
We gain terrain
We play the game

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 13
The stuff sounds to me like static as opposed to fire. I could definitely believe it's something like recording of something going on in the the magneto/ionical/etcera sphere of earth.

as for the gilmore vs waters debate the answer is syd.

Personally on the PF time line of predominant influence of Syd->Waters->Gilmore I temd to perfer a predominant waters with a hint of Barrett left as opposed to the stuff where Gilmore started taking over, but Gilmore came up with some really good stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back