Pink Floyd's Echoes
Apr 27, 2003 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pumpkin77

100+ Head-Fier
I read the thread on best pink floyd cds and found nothing about "Echoes" other than the song. There is a cd I found 2 disc that is sort of a best of.

Does any one have a review or take on this cd? I don't have enough cash to get a bunch of pink floyd cds so that might do the trick, unless someone tekks me it is absolutely horrible. thanks.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 13
No, it's good.

But Pink Floyd are an album band, you're going to want to get the albums from which your favourite tracks are culled, eventually.

But it certainly is a good selection.

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 13
The Pink Floyd studio track titled Echoes appears on the album Meddle (this track takes up all of side two of the LP). There are also some live performances of Echoes.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Pink Floyd is definately enjoyed best on an album by album basis. not sure what you can spend, but I would rather get two albums (like Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here) than a compilation. also because you want to get the albums anyway, and the compilation will become obsolete.

just my 2 cents...

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the responses, I understand what everyone is saying. I need to appreciate the "band" not just the "song". Hmm...

Do many ardent pink floyd fans even own this cd?

There are so many cds to buy, any site to find them used, or that a bad idea as well?

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by pumpkin77
Do many ardent pink floyd fans even own this cd?

I am an ardent fan, and that is why I own it. Quote:

Originally posted by pumpkin77
There are so many cds to buy, any site to find them used, or that a bad idea as well?

half.ebay.com, and no, it's not a bad idea.

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 13
Echoes is currently the only Pink Floyd in my collection, though it won't be the last (I will be buying all the SACD versions of their best albums). As stated, they really are an album band, but IMO, there are only 3 albums that are particularly crucial to own, if you already have Echoes. The Wall, WYWH, and of course DSOTM are all considered their all-time "classics". Between Echoes and those three albums you'll have all your basic Pink Floyd food groups covered! A lot of the other albums are a little "spotty" in places in my opinion, with some of it not aging so well, maybe better suited to ardent Floyd fans than general music fan.

I'm not a fan of the first two albums with Syd Barrett, nor do I care for any of the disappointing post-Roger Waters new age corporate bloat-rock.

Mark

Apr 27, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 13
The earlier works of Pink Floyd are more experimental, with studio sound effects experiments and sometimes a mixture of live and studio performances on the same album. These include:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Atom Heart Mother
UmmaGumma

Much of Pink Floyd's later music is theme based and is best appreciated by listening to complete albums all the way through, in the original context that this music was released. The following albums are all theme based.

Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall

Dark Side of the Moon has multiple themes. Some of these can be gleaned directly from this album's song titles including: Time, Money, Us and Them (War), Brain Damage (Insanity). The tracks on this album form a complete cycle of experience. So while the listener can enjoy individual tracks of DSOM, there is a cumulative effect when you can sit down or lie back comfortably, undisturbed and uninterrupted, and totally relax while listening to DSOM all the way through, preferably using high-quality headphones.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 13
[size=small]There's really more than one side to what a fan likes. I, for instance, am an ardent fan and yet you'll never catch me with a copy of Echoes in my possession. To me, it isn't that good of a compilation, and you're better off buying the individual albums. Everybody is usually short on cash to go and buy all of them, but you can do it one at a time, and d/l the Mp3's from Kazaa or somewhere to tide you over.
[/size]

Apr 28, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Echoes is a pretty good album. I don't own it, but a friend of mine does so I gave it a listen. It really does have a lot of the high points of Pink Floyd's music, but there were also many many omissions, and the title track was shortened considerably from its original version, which disappointed me.

It is a very good album for someone who doesnt want to own all of their albums or who just wants a quick overview of their music, but really an album by album approach is the best way to go IMO.

Apr 28, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 13
The CD release of Echoes is a fine compilation but as others have already said, Pink Floyd is best enjoyed when listened to an album by album basis. Individual tracks from the albums don't stand up too well on their own.

IMHO, the Vinyl release walks all over the CD release. There is just so much more going on and more dynamics and sheer realism to the LPs than the CDs give up.

BTW, The latest Hybrid SACD of DSOTM is a blinder. I've not listened to the SACD layer as don't have the equipment but the redbook layer is damn fine!

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back