Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon vs. Wish You Were Here
Jun 24, 2001 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
After the discussion in the "Calling All Dinosaurs" thread in this forum, I decided I had to listen through Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here to get a feeling of what they really meant, how well they each worked as complete albums, and how each track fit in. I originally wanted to respond to specific comments by Halberstram and Neruda, but then decided I should just say what I think each album means and let that stand on its own. So here goes.

But before I get started, after listening to Dark Side and then Wish, I thought that both were equally cohesive, even though the structures and meanings were different.

Anyway, I thought that Dark Side of the Moon was meant to represent a dream. For the most part, the music is very abstract, with many voices (including the back-up vocals Hal hates), many images floating in and out. The music also flows from one idea to the next somewhat like in a dream; in the beginning, we slowly drift into the music, then at the end we slowly drift out, finally hearing nothing, somewhat like when you wake naturally and lie in bed, awake, but with the eyes closed, slowly readjusting yourself to the physical world.

The song "Money" feels uncharacteristically awake, sticking out like a sore thumb in the generally spacey album. But I thought that it works very well -- most of the album is so distanced from the earth and all its mundanity; "Money" makes me feel like I'm jumping back into Earth's atmosphere, living again in our culture which values all things ephemeral. The simple chord structure and driving beat, so recognizable as the trademarks of most rock music, bring a false feeling of return to the normal kind of music you might put on in the background of a party or burn on a "mix" CD to listen to while driving to work. But we soon go back to the dreamy music of "Us and Them," and we realize once more that we're really still asleep.

Sleeping and night-time dreaming do not comprise the fabric of Wish You Were Here, though. Wish seems to me to be an album which signifies almost exclusively the thoughts of a person awake. Perhaps I'm just trying to fit the title into the music, but I really felt a longing and nostalgia throughout almost all of Wish. But while at first it seems possible that these thoughts and feelings are part of a dream, the lyrics clearly indicate that these thoughts are reminiscings, probably of a person.

We're interrupted, though, by machine-noises. I'm not sure I understand what it's supposed to mean -- is it that we're at work? Is life "the machine?" My idea is that "Welcome to the Machine" is when we're being told the way that life works. We're also told, I think, about whom we are reminiscing. We shouldn't be thinking about someone who's a "raver," "seer of visions," "painter," "piper," and "prisoner," but a regular man driven by earthly pleasures. The real man behind this "crazy diamond" "always ate in the steak bar" and "loved to drive in his Jaguar." We're told that it's natural to dream of people as more than they are; it's how society makes us think. But we can't mistake a common fortune-seeker for a "legend" and "martyr." We start drifting off into a day-dream again, but are snapped back to reality as we realize that we're in a crowd of people.

With "Have a Cigar," we're still among people and are still awake. Somewhat like with "Money," this song doesn't seem to fit in. Although "Cigar" is more groovy and a bit more tripping than "Money," it still seems too "average" to fit into the quite pensive album. But again it fits in, like "Money" does in Dark Side, as a separation of sorts from the rest of the generally hazy album. As the lyrics stop and just the instruments play, it's like we're again lost in our own thoughts.

This time we leave our thoughts when we realize that we're actually listening to the radio; we switch to another song and as the solo guitar starts to kick in, we get lost again, and we seem to hear the voice of the "big star." He cautions us against letting people change our minds. Don't let people convince you that your dreams of people being more than the sum of their simplest actions are empty. In this song, "Wish You Were Here," we find that it's the star that we're thinking of who wishes we were with him; after all our deep thought and analysis, all we find are "the same old fears" -- so let's finish with this useless waste of time.

As the voice goes away and the music fades out, the wind interrupts our thinking, though we soon go back to our thinking and day-dreaming. The music here seems to be rather confused in the sense that it feels to me like it's quickly-wandering thought; eventually it stumbles upon the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" theme, and like with thought, we fixate upon that and go back to our earlier thoughts.

We know now how it may be wrong to think of the "big star" as perfect and as a legend, but we don't care... "Shine on you crazy diamond!" We might as well keep on "basking in the shadow of yesterday's triumph, and sail [together] on the steel breeze." I feel it's like we actually are trying to meet the "crazy diamond."

The music slows down, and for the first time in the album it has an air not only less melancholy, but more honestly so... kind of like a clear conscience.

We hear some music that to me represents the rhythmical machine-like world that we're leaving behind --

-- and then we come back to a melancholy theme, which eventually drifts off into another random and seemingly unrelated theme, as though our thoughts have totally left the whole subject of the entire album before, like in real thought.

So to recap. quickly, I thought Dark Side was meant to represent a dream of the 45-minute or so length of the album. Thus, it seemed to work together so well for Neruda. Wish, though, comes across to me as a collection of thoughts, as though it's the chronicled thoughts of a day. Once in a while we're reminded of reality (kind of like in Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods") by sounds or because someone starts talking to us. So Wish doesn't necessarily take place in exactly the 44 minutes 24 seconds it takes to play the music. Thus it might not seem as unified to some.

Yet I think both albums are just as cohesive; Dark Side of the Moon tells me about the cheapness of transient pleasures in the format of a dream, and Wish You Were Here tells me about how we should think by helping me experience the thoughts of another person. So I find it difficult to judge the two relative to each other, since I think each was completed successfully and very well, but in different ways.

I'm sorry this message was so long, but if you got this far, it would be great if you would comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 25
hey danG, Not much time but thought I'd say it quickly in case you want to reply for more info later. First I want to say that what a song or album "means", should be a personal thing, and that bob dylan always refused to say what his songs meant. When asked, he'd just say "whatever they mean to you is what they mean". Anyway, it's hard to say which floyd album is better, especially as "wish"is a sequel to "dark", which are both written for the original founder of floyd, the great Syd Barrett, who was given the boot after Saucerful of Secrets in 1968. Even on that album (floyd's 2nd), he's only credited with one song "jugband blues". Their first album "pipers at the gates of dawn"is almost all Barrett material, and is some amazing stuff ie: arnold layne, bike, see emily play, etc. Gilmour joined in for "saucerful" to help out as Syd's mental condition was deteriorating, and his famous acid use went into high gear.

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 25
At this time Syd could hardly put together a complete sentence, and in concert would either get halfway through a song and fall down, or strum an open chord for two hours!! Needless to say he needed to go, and although he released two solo albums "barrett", and "the madcap laughs" after this (70-71), he was in serious mental health and apparently went to live with his mother where he he sat on a porch all day just staring into space. Anyway, waters wrote darkside based on Syd and how he felt syd must feel (roger has always had a huge ego), and based most of the songs on actual conversations he had had with Syd at the time. So go back and listen to it with that in mind and it might (should) make more sense. Wish you were here just expands on the theme - "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun (early days), now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the skies (drugs-acid makes your pupils huge), and so on. Let me know what you think...... And to Nervuda, if ya like darkside so much, check out Meddle, for without meddle there is no darkside, and to acidtrip, waters is both,but Animals is a weird one to mention(your other thread) coz its known more as a gilmour album (the music,not the song credits that all say waters,except for dogs,he's such a control freak that guy

Jun 27, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 25
To tell you the truth, I was planning on writing a short message... as you can see, my "explanation" (lol) of Dark Side is short, but the one of Wish is very long. I wrote the first thoughts quickly, and then started listening to Wish on the computer and reading the lyrics and typing, and I ended up writing a work of non-fiction.

My real point was just that you can't really compare the two albums because I think they're both amazing pieces of music and fine works of art (to me).

On the point of finding meanings, I agree that everyone will (and should) find his own meaning in any work of art, whether musical, visual, or literary. However, I think that the only meanings that are "valid" are those that are derived from the art itself. For example, I read a New Historicist article which compared Twain's Huck Finn with Emerson's "Concord Hymn" based on the fact that there were many words that were shared between the two works, and that Huck Finn was started exactly two hundred years after the Declaration of Independence.

Although Wish and Dark Side may be about Syd Barrett, they may also be about more than him. They may be about the experiences of Waters and the other band members who helped write and perform the albums. Art is the faithful expression of one's emotions and experiences; when one listens to an album about somebody's life, he can take more from it than simple facts or clues about the person's thoughts. What I took from Wish and Dark Side were the actual experiences that I felt were passed along to me through the lyrics and the amazing music itself; I learned a lot more than just that Barrett liked to eat steaks and drive the best cars in the world (because yes, Jaguars are unrivaled).

Don't you Head-Fidels agree? Just because a work of art is based on something doesn't mean that that's all there is to it. Finding meanings aside from the basic story is the essence of what people like Dylan and Golding said about there not being any specific meaning. As long as what you get from the work is based on (and in) the work, then it's a valid meaning.

Jun 27, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 25
danG, your comments make sense about Dark Side. i will listen to it again with what you said in mind at my nearest convinience (the way work is right now, that will be a very very long time).

Wish you were here still gets my vote (as of 6/27/01)

Jun 28, 2001 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 25
Hey on the topic of album "connectivity" that we were discussing in that last thread, here's a response I like more (my other response was hot headed and ****ty, I apologise): I will agree that wish you were here feels more connected than dark side does (well, actually I don't but for now I will say it does
smily_headphones1.gif
), but the question I want to ask is which album presents greater musicality? My vote would definitely go to Dark Side. I really do love wish you were here. Don't get me wrong. I really like the start of the first song, with that great bluesy guitar and that four note riff. But Dark Side has a sound to it that you just can't match. I simply can't get enough of that haunting slide guitar in "breathe" or that high pitched, almost orgasmic singing of Clare Torry in "the Great Gig in the Sky." Also, that fantastic refrain in "Us and them" just kills me every time I listen to it. I certainly like wish you were here, but IMO, compared to dark side it's just background music. (That doesn't mean I hold wish you were here in low esteem, it's just that I hold dark side in sch high esteem.)

But yeah, in the end both are simply excellent albums. And a lot of Floyd's stuff was inspired by Syd, definitely including the Wall. (for anyone who has seen the move "The Wall," the body hair shaving scene came from Barret.) I should buy some of the really old Floyd to get an idea of what they were like during the Syd Barret days.

Jun 28, 2001 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 25
Being a bit of an old dinosaur myself, and a huge Pink Floyd fan - I recollect the following from various interviews I've heard/read etc:

Dark Side of The Moon was supposedly meant to be about the things that turn people "mad". (Not mad as in angry but mad as in insane.) Hence songs about money, ageing, death etc.

Wish You Were Here - was written when Waters was becoming disillusioned with the music industry - hence songs like Have A Cigar and Welcome to the Machine. The 2 "Shine On..." songs are obviously about Syd Barrett and there are tales of Syd wanting to rejoin the band and hanging around outside the studio when they were recording WYWH. The song "Wish You Were Here" is (IMHO) a pre-cursor to "The Final Cut" and is about the early death of Roger Waters' father.

The best PF songs? IMO - Fat Old Sun and The Embryo recorded live in the Paris theatre (London?) in the early 70s. (On loads of bootlegs - these two are just awesome.)

--Jatinder

Jun 28, 2001 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 25
The best Pink Floyd album of all time (IMO) --

The Final Cut

It's got the best music and the best lyrics I've ever heard from a Pink Floyd album.

(Still, it can't beat the live versions of Fat Old Sun and The Embryo that I mentioned above :wink:

Jul 1, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 25
I agree with jatinder....definitely my favorite Floyd album (I have yet to hear them all....only own The Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Division Bell, Final Cut).

I'd also say it has the best sound quality/production out of the PF cds I've heard...

Jul 2, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I was always under the impression that "Wish You Were Here" was about an old band member who went crazy. I may be wrong, though.

You might be right, but... wasn't it The Wall that was about a crazed musician?!

I didn't realise that PF albums had meanings / morals to them... I just thought that they were loose stories... but, thinking about it Dan... You seem to be right... I've never thought about there musical styles so deeply

Brilliant thread...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back