Pink Floyd: where to next?
Jan 29, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, and The Division Bell. My favorites are probably DSOTM, Meddle and WYWH, and I'm looking for advice on where to go next. I'm thinking Ummagumma might be a good choice, but would A Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured by Clouds, Atom Heart Mother or Piper at the Gates of Dawn be better? I think I'd like to head to one of the mentioned albums first before I head into The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 28
Be prepared. Their first albums differ from the newer ones A LOT. You might enjoy them but I didn't. I'd go for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obscured by Clouds and The Final Cut are OK also but not as good as AMLoR.

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 28
I'm a big fan of Atom Heart Mother - especially the 20 minute suite. But you can't really go wrong with any, especially if you liked Meddle. PATGOD is Syd Floyd, as you probably already know, and a lot more in the psychedelic pop vein of Floyd, rather than intricate layering focused on mood and atmosphere. A Saucerful of Secrets has the title track which is also a very good, long, piece.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 28
"Alan's Psyhcadelic Breakfast" on Atom Heart Mother is a great tune. But as someone else mentioned, the early Sid Barret stuff is quite a bit different than the Roger Waters stuff.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 28
Piper at the Gates of Dawn is quite a fun album, definitely pick it up if you haven't already. It would also be a good starting point if you want to get into more Syd style or some of the Roger style Floyd.

Personally, Animals and WYWH are my favorite, and I love the earlier stuff. The later stuff seems to fade for me, though their later albums do have some moments. I think if you like the later Beatles albums, you'll like some early Pink Floyd.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 28
All the 60's PF albums are known to cause depression in laboratory rodents. They should come with a warning of some kind.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go for A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obscured by Clouds and The Final Cut are OK also but not as good as AMLoR.

You mean A Momentary Lapse of Music?
biggrin.gif

The Final Cut is absolute garbage, but I'll give you Obscured By Clouds. One of their best.

As most here know, I dearly appreciate experimentation, but Pink Floyd was at its prime when they still had the genius of Syd Barrett around. Get Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. The latter only has one Syd tune on it, but it's still one of the most enjoyable and interesting releases by the group. For a semi-avantgarde approach, check out their double LP Ummagumma.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean A Momentary Lapse of Music?
biggrin.gif

The Final Cut is absolute garbage, but I'll give you Obscured By Clouds. One of their best.

As most here know, I dearly appreciate experimentation, but Pink Floyd was at its prime when they still had the genius of Syd Barrett around. Get Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets. The latter only has one Syd tune on it, but it's still one of the most enjoyable and interesting releases by the group. For a semi-avantgarde approach, check out their double LP Ummagumma.

Well if you ask me, the earlier stuff is total crap compared to the newer stuff. It's useless to start argue about different music tastes though. I really like AMLoR and that's it.

In the first post viator122 says that his favorites are DSOTM, Meddle and WYWH. Based on that I'd recommend the albums I already recommended earlier.

Of course the best way is to give a proper audition to all PF albums.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Why give him more of the same pretentious Waters-infested dribble?

Because he seems to like it?
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 28
You know what I haven't seen on this site? A good Waters vs. Gilmour flame war. Maybe I should start one...
wink.gif

Obscured by Clouds is, to me, a fresh and underrated prelude to DSOTM. I didn't really get into Saucerful (although I liked the live part of Ummagumma), and I haven't heard Atom Heart Mother or Piper.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 28
Now that you've already corrupted your chronological journey and are tainted by the impression set upon you by the albums you've heard, might as well attempt to correct it and go back to 1967, listen to Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Quote:

Werd

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 28
im the process of getting my hands on Survivor just waiting for a friend to bring them to work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back