Pink Floyd Sells the Heck out of SACD
Aug 31, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 18
It's also *cheap*. $14 new at Best Buy. I don't have a SACD player, but I picked this up as my first Pink Floyd. Strange thing is, my dad listened to the original when it came out, when he was about my age. I think we still have the LP downstairs.

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
I was a little surprised to read that they have sold 550,000 copies of the SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon, so far.

Not bad for a 30 year old recording.

Does this say anything for the long term viability of SACD?

Probably not. Most buyers likely don't care about SACD. Now if they had had 2 versions--CD and SACD--with the SACD version being slightly higher priced, then that might have provided a basis for assessing consumer support for SACD.

Aug 31, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 18
I have the same experience as stereth...it was cheap...and remastered...and my first PF album. I don't yet have an sacd player but I didn't think it would hurt buying this version since I have read this remastered redbook is still better than anything else that has come before it.

Aug 31, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 18
Don't hate me for this...........
But take out your new hybrid DSOTM disc and closely examine area around center spindle hole.
Notice the hairline cracks forming in the disc
eek.gif

Someone at Audiogon noticed this, must be manufacturing or material defect. Fortunately has not spread out far enough to effect playing surface.

Aug 31, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Yeah you can avoid the cracking by avoiding the American Crest pressing. You can identify these defective discs by looking at the catalog number on the CD spine. If the number ends in U.S run away. You want to get a Japanese pressing that doesnt have the U.S at the end of the catalog number and says Made in Japan on the lower left hand corner of the back.

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by uniuniunium
oh my. my beloved SACD is cracking. and no way to backup the non-redbook layers.
frown.gif

I am hoping the cracks will not spread that far, mine only extend anout 1/8" from center and don't seem to be increasing.......yet.

After closely listening to redbook layer of hybrid DSOTM I am not totally convinced it is superior to 20th anniversary remaster from early 1990's.................so may not be big loss anyway, he he.

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks DarkAngel, THAT's the kind of non-useless post I like.
wink.gif

I've been chomping at the bit to buy the disc for it's redbook remaster but at $30 (here in Bangkok) I've been hesitating. Now you've cured me of DSOM lust. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah, the general consensus is that while the SACD layer is awesome, the Redbook layer isn't as good as the previous Redbook remaster.

Sep 1, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 18
When you guys say to look for the Japanese pressing of the DSotM hybrid SACD, would these be sold alongside the domestic releases at American stores, or would one have to import to get the non crack-tastic version?

Sep 2, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I am hoping the cracks will not spread that far, mine only extend anout 1/8" from center and don't seem to be increasing.......yet.

After closely listening to redbook layer of hybrid DSOTM I am not totally convinced it is superior to 20th anniversary remaster from early 1990's.................so may not be big loss anyway, he he.

I forget where I read it, but I thought the redbook layer was exactly the previous remaster? I'll try to dump to EAC and see...

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I forget where I read it, but I thought the redbook layer was exactly the previous remaster? I'll try to dump to EAC and see...

I think that both the CD and SACD stereo tracks are from the same 2 channel analog mix that has been used in the past but I also think this CD remaster is new and features more compression than they've used before. Lots more punchy than it should be and it's definitely highly compressed when compared to the SACD stereo track and older versions of the CD but I don't have any of the other recent CD remasters of this so I could be wrong about it being a new CD remaster. I'd be surprised if you get the same bits though. Jon Atkinson at Stereophile ran some tests on one of the tracks to see what they did to make the CD sound so different (ie bad) compared to the supposedly same mix on the stereo SACD and confirmed the high level of compression and clipping on the CD layer.

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back